Quantcast

help me chose a frame for a project build

impure

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
i am selling one of my vehicles and am lookin to get aroung 1300 for it but will most likely spend 3bills and have a grand to spend. i need a good frame for dirt jumping and just riding around in street...i can read reviews all day but all are good so thats why i ask you guys.it needs to be super super strong and weight is no issue i really beat my stuff bad to the point that i have bent the gussets into the frame. i was thinkin azonic's steelhead or the banshee morphine..i also heard good stuff about evils stuff but it is damn expensive. any suggestions?

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
i have a morphine i think its a great frame but has some useles weight on it not to mention the frames now go fro almost 700 most places. have you looked at any of black markets frames if i were gonna build it again i would probably get one of those.

impure

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
so wat would you suggest? i do like the black markets and have seen a union street that was pretty ill but never a transition... any other good frames that would take a beating like a red headed stepchild?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Without some info, it's hard to answer your question.

Your height/weight/riding style?
Wheel size?
Disc brakes or Vs or 990s?
Fork travel (if any)?
Geared or SS?

Etc. If you give us some guidelines as far as what you're looking for we should be able to help.

impure

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
ok thanks..height about 5'9" weight:160. ridin style....um..street stuff and dirt jumping. i am no good at tricks but love to get mass air! i like to jump stuff and jump off stuff. doesnt matter what brakes but the discs on my ged are sure nice..dont know much about travel so cant help there. remember i come from bmx. and i would like the simplicity of ss but the gear selections of my ged is nice too. um i think ss but am open to geared

impure

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
ok thanks..height about 5'9" weight:160. ridin style....um..street stuff and dirt jumping. i am no good at tricks but love to get mass air! i like to jump stuff and jump off stuff. doesnt matter what brakes but the discs on my ged are sure nice..dont know much about travel so cant help there. remember i come from bmx. and i would like the simplicity of ss but the gear selections of my ged is nice too. um i think ss but am open to geared

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Evil DOC? Azonic Steelhead? Sounds like you want a pretty BMX-ish mountain bike.

Check out the Tonic Fall Guy or Union Street Molly for a mix of BMX or MTB.

impure

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
yup thats pretty much what i want. i actually posted another thread about long travel forks on a bmx frame. but i like the feel of bmx but the ride of a mt bike and have both but want a hybrid.

impure

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
ok an how is it when it comes time to buyin something. do i measure just like i were to buy myself a bmx frame? i have the mid sized ged but a small bmx bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
My recommendation: go to your local good shop, tell 'em your budget, and have them point you in the right direction. Sounds like you're a beginner, and having to choose every last component can be a handful when building a frame. Everyone has to start somewhere, and it sounds like a complete bike would introduce you to mountain bikes and get you riding. .02

impure

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
ya it is quite the headache. i mean i have a built t1 custom with all the components i wanted but thats because i have been on a bmx my whole life so i really dont know where to go to about all this so i am going to run to my lbs today i figure if anything they can help me with the geometry aspects. thanks all

impure

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
ok i think i have decided on a frame. i read reviews on all the frames everyone listed and i decided on the transition trail or park! i didnt read anything negative about it other than the paint chips easily. i also like the fact that the bb is european so i cna relate to that at least and actually have a set of fsa nasty boys i could use. any input on the frame? i will go with the medium by the way cause i am about 5'9".

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
ok i think i have decided on a frame. i read reviews on all the frames everyone listed and i decided on the transition trail or park! i didnt read anything negative about it other than the paint chips easily. i also like the fact that the bb is european so i cna relate to that at least and actually have a set of fsa nasty boys i could use. any input on the frame? i will go with the medium by the way cause i am about 5'9".
I spoke with Kevin about the Trail or Park and I am 5'10". He suggested that the medium would be perfect as Kyle designed it and he is 5'10". Hope that helps.

impure

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
ya i guess from time to time you know take it for a quick spin. its so wierd though cause i dont have the front fork to take up a lot of the bumps. i am so used to bombing down fallen walls with uneven bricks and three to four foot drops with the ged plus my t1 feels like a little baby bike!ha ha. its still my baby though cause bmx is what i grew up on.

impure

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
what ia rhw max travel fork i could use with the trail or park from transition. on adrenaline bikes they have a morphine for sale for 1300 with a 6 inch travel fork and the azonic steelhead for 850 with a 5 and i half inch travel fork. so what would i be able to go with