Quantcast

Help me cut my mud 3's

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I've decided after a few tries that I really dont like michi mud 3's, I think they are just too square for me. Even when the mud is deep enough for them too grip like velcro in a straight line I find I feel really loose when they start too get laid over. Even in really filthy conditions I prefer my swampthings.

Sooooooo the big burning question is does anyone have any tips on cutting them? The only shots I've seen have had the centre knobs cut with the outside edge left alone. I dont think that will work for me. I figure that now I've got it I should make the most of it, however if any monkeys have some tips I'd be pleased to hear them.

Cheers!

gonefirefightin

free wieners
why ruin a specialty condition tire by taking off rubber that makes it a special condition tire?

they are meant for pure slop days, the rubber doesnt last very long as it is.

I think you should find a sleezy tire and play with cutting them. leave the 3's for a rainy day

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
why ruin a specialty condition tire by taking off rubber that makes it a special condition tire?

they are meant for pure slop days, the rubber doesnt last very long as it is.

I think you should find a sleezy tire and play with cutting them. leave the 3's for a rainy day

Probably because I have decided I dont like them even on a rainy day (worst conditions I have raced in and I've been downhilling about 15years)! I dont know anyone who wants them, not going to try and sell a 2nd hand tire. If i dont "ruin" them I wont use them at all. I just figured with cutting tires you only get one go so I would see if anyone with any experience would chime in.

When I ran michelins I used to cut the center knobs down on the mud 3's. If I remember right, I cut 35-40% of the tread off the center knobs. This allowed them to not be so "tall" or "squirmy" in my opinion. They were way better in the corners and on mud covered rocks and roots while still allowing them to bite down into the slop. Swampthings seem better to me if the course has lots of rocks and roots though. I still have my cut mud 3's somewhere, when I get home tonight I'll snap a pic and post it.