Quantcast

help me design a meal plan for health

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
here is the deal. i seem very low on energy and i am getting fatigued quicker riding. I am looking to design an eating plan that will help me build muscle, lose the little bit of gut that i have and increase mt endurance.

background: I currently eat crap. fats food, junk food, sodas, whatever is quick and easy.i don not want to eliminate meat from my diet. I drink coffee however i onlyh drink one cup a day. I never drink water (i know i need to but unless i am riding water never enters my system). I am a big fan of smoothies normally consisting of non-fat yogurt, skim milk, strawberries, bananas and blue berries. I love milk and orange juice.

I am looking for not only protein and carb functions of food but also lots of vitamin intake. i am working on a kinda tight budget as all of you know so going to high dollar health food stores is out of the question completely.

any advice or examples would be greatly appreciated.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
damn out of all the possibilities i thought i would at least get bashed from something

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
1)No fried food
2)No more soda
3)Eat 6 small meals a day, never stuff yourself
4)Exercise(riding or weight lifting)
5)Drink Skim Milk

The most important thing is the 6 small meals a day. Eating properly will boost you metabolic rate and make it so you don't feel the need to stuff yourself anymore. This works because your body burns what it needs and doesn't have anything left over to store as fat.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Number of meals effect on weightloss is controversial in the nutritional science world and there is not yet agreement as to whether it works. There is agreement that the low-fat high carbohydrate diet is a healthy diet that helps you keep weight off in the long run despite all the morons buying into modern dieting fads.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
syadasti said:
Number of meals effect on weightloss is controversial in the nutritional science world and there is not yet agreement as to whether it works.
No there is no question. If you boost your metabolic rate and and decrease the amount of food that can be stored as fat you will have results plain and simple. Think of it as a fire: if you pile a ton of wood up and try to light it, it won't burn burn very hot. If you slowly feed the fire a little wood at a time it will burn very hot and fast. In biggins case i think this would be very effective since he does get exercise but his caloric intake is probably higher than what he's burning. It's easy since he won't have to change his lifestyle much just eating happits.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Here are the factors backed up by numerous nutritional science studies

Determinants of Body Weight
1.Genetics
2.Early development
3.Diet Composition (Energy Density)
4.Occasion to Eat
5.Portion Size
6.Variety
7.Eating out the Home
8.Number of people eating with you
9.Amount of food others eat
10.Motor Activity

What happens when one diets?
Immediate-1.Habit (Expectation, Conditioning)
24 hours-2.Sensory Enhancement
3 days-3.Decrease in Basal Metabolic Rate
1 week-4.Food Obsessions
1 month-5.Eating induced eating
3 month-6.Depression-30% of all dieters become clinically depressed

Why (Rapid) Dieting Doesn't Work!
•50% of all people who begin to diet never make their target weight
•For those who achieved weight loss, ½ of the weight is regain in first year.
•Average weight loss five years after making target weight = 0 lbs. (ie they gained it all back - haha)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Lexx D said:
No there is no question. If you boost your metabolic rate and and decrease the amount of food that can be stored as fat you will have results plain and simple. Think of it as a fire...It's easy since he won't have to change his lifestyle much just eating happits.
No the studies are mixed and most nutritional scientists do not believe this is true. The human body isn't a fireplace either and effective/lasting dieting involves lifestyle changes. Until you get your PhD in nutritional science and been studying it for many decades, I think I'll believe Dr. Levitsky over joe blow Internet.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
cmon now im lookin for helpful hints and tips/suggestions not a debate. i dont really need a diet im pretty skinny and the slight gut that i have going on will go away after the soda and fast food does. What i am looking for is suggestions, especially of the kinda quick style. I am a bachelor and have no roomate so will need to adjust the amount prepared as to reduce waste.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
syadasti said:
No the studies are mixed and most nutritional scientists do not believe this is true. The human body isn't a fireplace either and effective/lasting dieting involves lifestyle changes. Until you get your PhD in nutritional science and been studying it for many decades, I think I'll believe Dr. Levitsky over joe blow Internet.
Well I did go to school for three years for sports med/exercise phys........so :eviltongu.
That and if you knew things other than what levitsky says you would see that it works. The goal of boosting your metabolic rate is what I was trying to help with. In a healthy person who gets exercise metabolism/diet is a huge factor. If Biggins was sitting on the couch all day wondering how to get in shape I would have suggested an alternative diet(like low fat, high carb). The point is that he is healthy but wants to bring it up a notch, I see this as the best way.
I'm not joe internet, how about you? Are you just a cut and paste internet biker or have you actually spent time in a classroom learning about nutrition and exercise as I have.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
biggins said:
cmon now im lookin for helpful hints and tips/suggestions not a debate. i dont really need a diet im pretty skinny and the slight gut that i have going on will go away after the soda and fast food does. What i am looking for is suggestions, especially of the kinda quick style. I am a bachelor and have no roomate so will need to adjust the amount prepared as to reduce waste.
Sorry bigs just trying to help, then i get called "Joe blow internet" :mumble:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've seen the sources he uses for the metastudy of the actual science out there and there isn't agreement that number of meals has an effect on BMR - most of the studies point to it as a falsehood and you can't change that by believing otherwise...

In case you don't know what a metastudy - its a survey of all the scientific studies out there use to find out the validity of a claim. It doesn't matter what you, me, or Levitsky thinks - thats what the science shows...

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
just stay away from the saturated fats and fried foods. I cut down on the sodas and fast food and saw a significant deference. I also cut out mayonaise, french fries.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
syadasti said:
most of the studies point to it as a falsehood and you can't change that by believing otherwise...
But you can believe it by trying it(as myself and other have done). Also while my college prof. didn't write a book he is a Dr of nutrition and knows his stuff. There are other ways to increase you metabolic rate but for many people 6 small meals a day is an easy way to do it. You don't have to believe me after all I'm just some guy on a computer........... However, I do know what has worked for me.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
dirtyj said:
just stay away from the saturated fats and fried foods. I cut down on the sodas and fast food and saw a significant deference. I also cut out mayonaise, french fries.
Lower fat, low saturated fat, and avoiding simple carbohydrates is generally accepted as good practice. You can eat some lean meats, fish, etc to get the protein you need. Most people don't need protein supplements to get the right amount of protein. There are lots of other fad nutrition products out there and most likely you probably don't need to buy anything special unless you like placebos (which strangely enough can actual cause positive effects in people).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Lexx D said:
But you can believe it by trying it(as myself and other have done). Also while my college prof. didn't write a book he is a Dr of nutrition and knows his stuff. There are other ways to increase you metabolic rate but for many people 6 small meals a day is an easy way to do it. You don't have to believe me after all I'm just some guy on a computer........... However, I do know what has worked for me.
A sample size of one and lack of control make your result prove nothing. You were probably doing other things to increase your BMR, how do you know that didn't do it? How do you know it wasn't some sort of placebo effect even? People need realistic changes in lifestyle or environment to stick with a change in diet - thats why people who diet fail - its an artificial change in their patterns and they eventually fall back into their normal lifestyle.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Not really a "plan" but here are 2 things that have greatly helped me.
1) eat reasonable portions. I don't care how often I eat or what I eat, I just don't stuff myself to the point where I can't breathe anymore
2) eat more earlier. I used to eat very little during the day, then eat constantly from the time I got home from work until I went to bed. Now it's just the opposite. I eat very little after work (usually just dinner - no snacks), and nothing after 7pm.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Biggins, here goes my $0.02. I know, you know me (and can picture what a physical specimen I am :think: ), but what you don't know is I used to be about 225lbs, with a 38" waist!

Here are some of the things that really have worked for me in the past.

1) Protein in the AM, really seems to do it for me. (I do not know the science behind it). However if I grab a few slices of turkey or make an eggbeater sandwich in the microwave 1st thing in the AM at work, it really seems to keep my energy level up.

2) This one is gonna suck when you first do it but.... Cut out as much sugar from your diet as possible. Don't put it in your coffee, don't drink regular soda (often). If you currently consume a lot of sugar you will get headaches and stuff for the first few days. :nuts:

jacksonpt said:
2) eat more earlier. I used to eat very little during the day, then eat constantly from the time I got home from work until I went to bed. Now it's just the opposite. I eat very little after work (usually just dinner - no snacks), and nothing after 7pm.
:stupid:

Not eating late (and tapering off as the day goes on) is more of a losing weight kinda thing, but I found it very effective as well.

Good luck.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Not eating late (and tapering off as the day goes on) is more of a losing weight kinda thing, but I found it very effective as well.
True... but isn't that kind of the point to the dietary side getting into shape? I'm no expert on this stuff, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I always though the point of eating better was to stop putting on fat. The reason for working out/exercising is to burn fat and build muscle.

I'm intentionally ignoring the need to eat correctly to recover from a workout for the sake of this conversation.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jacksonpt said:
True... but isn't that kind of the point to the dietary side getting into shape? I'm no expert on this stuff, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I always though the point of eating better was to stop putting on fat. The reason for working out/exercising is to burn fat and build muscle.
Yep I agree with you. I was just interpreting his need to lose weight as secondary to the energy/fatigue factor.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
1) Protein in the AM, really seems to do it for me. (I do not know the science behind it). However if I grab a few slices of turkey or make an eggbeater sandwich in the microwave 1st thing in the AM at work, it really seems to keep my energy level up.

breakfast burritos are super easy and fast too(as well as portable) i eat them quite a bit, sometimes for more than one meal. i use egg whites only but tn uses whole eggs.

you need to cut out the fast food fried crap too. you also need to drink water. you need water and it will effect energy levels. also, take a multi vitamin. one a day will help balance some things out for you.

if you can't lose the fast food, at least start drinking water instead of soda and taking a multi vitamin.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
biggins said:
here is the deal. i seem very low on energy and i am getting fatigued quicker riding. I am looking to design an eating plan that will help me build muscle, lose the little bit of gut that i have and increase mt endurance.

background: I currently eat crap. fats food, junk food, sodas, whatever is quick and easy.i don not want to eliminate meat from my diet. I drink coffee however i onlyh drink one cup a day. I never drink water (i know i need to but unless i am riding water never enters my system). I am a big fan of smoothies normally consisting of non-fat yogurt, skim milk, strawberries, bananas and blue berries. I love milk and orange juice.

I am looking for not only protein and carb functions of food but also lots of vitamin intake. i am working on a kinda tight budget as all of you know so going to high dollar health food stores is out of the question completely.

any advice or examples would be greatly appreciated.
Looks simple to be stop eating all junk food, no more, none ok. Instead of buying bottles od soda buy bottles of water I get flamed by ppl all the time for spending as much on a bottle of water as a coke costs r more even. Just stopping the soda will make a HUGE difference. Keep eating steak, I eat steak it's good for you, just not every night and try and buy leaner cuts. So just replace all that junk food with good food. It won't take anymore time.
As for smoothies, unless you make them yourself I would stay away from them, the ones you buy are usaully like 500cal it's crazy what they put in them, defeats the whole point of one. So yeah drink water, eat veggies/fruit, meat and some grains and you'll be good to go. NEVER go to Mc Donalds, Harveys, Burger King ect. OK

I was a fat turd until i turned things around about a year ago.... ive gone from 205 lb witha 38" waist to 145 lbs and a 32" waist in the past year by just changing my eating habits and riding more. I think the riding more came about because of not being a fat turd anymore. Ill just give you an example of what i eat most days.

breakfast: 3 eggs and 2 slices turkey bacon or whole rolled oatmeal with fat free milk

lunch: tuna on sugar free wheatbread and cottage cheese or natural peanut butter on sugar free wheat

snack: fruit or pb sandwich

dinner: usually grilled chicken with vegitables or basmati rice

late snack: oatmeal

and lots of diet soda...i hate water. I still eat stuff like pizza or mexican a couple times a week but no fast food. I used to live off fast food, donuts and coke.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Here are a few simple tips

1) Stay away from these 3 ingredients in foods, transfats, hydrenated (sp)oils, and high fructose corn sryup. Just read the label if it has it don't eat it!

2) NO fast food for 6 weeks, then if you want it only once a week

3) When food shopping, buy nothing in the middle isles. Only shop for food on the perimeter of the supermarket. Here is where all the fresh foods are, the rest is all process crap. If you need to eat cheese get the low fat stuff

4) Don't eat bread, even wheat bread. It has a bunch of crap in it. Get sprouted grain bread, much better for you.

5) Drink 60-80 oz of water a day

6) take a muti vitimin and a fish oil (omega-3) supplement. The multi will give you what you missed and the fish oil will give you your essentail fats so you will not crave bad fats

7) Every morning make a protein smoothy to start your day.
egg protein powder
banana
hand full of berries
tbsp of milled Flaxseed
8-12 oz of skim milk

8) Never eat a portion of meat or simple carb greater than the size of your hand. If that does not fill you you need to eat more frequently through the day with healthy natural snacks, like carrots, apples and nuts (not salted or processed).

The name of the game is to eat natural.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i usually make my smoothies at home. as for the egg protein is their a benefit of the egg over whey protein?

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
Lexx D said:
1)No fried food
2)No more soda
3)Eat 6 small meals a day, never stuff yourself
4)Exercise(riding or weight lifting)
5)Drink Skim Milk

The most important thing is the 6 small meals a day. Eating properly will boost you metabolic rate and make it so you don't feel the need to stuff yourself anymore. This works because your body burns what it needs and doesn't have anything left over to store as fat.
this is the way to do it. and don't avoid carbs - studies are now showing high carb low cal diets are the way to go. and lots of non-fat milk and dairy (yogurt) helps too. the 6 small meals a day are also to keep you from binging.

the no soda thing is a BIG BIG deal. all that sugar - blech. oh and take the stairs, park far away from the store in the parking lot of ride ride ride that bike.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
bigginsis said:
this is the way to do it. and don't avoid carbs - studies are now showing high carb low cal diets are the way to go.
Its not a new finding - thats what the real science has been saying for decades. BS fads like Fatkins, south beach, etc are the only things that change ;)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i would never jump on one of those trend diets. I have made a mockery of those things since the beginning of time. The body of an active person needs carbs. Those diets take off cause it makes people beleive that they can lose the weight without actually doing any physical work. I am not about that.

well the point is to avoid simple carbs like sugars.... complex carbs are what you need. avoiding carbs completely for a short amount of time will help you lose some of those extra pounds, which is why bodybuilders use carb cycling when in cutting phases.

the south beach diet is what i actually started with and seems to have worked for me atleast.... it really is just a guide to eating right so the diet may be a fad but the concept isnt.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
The south beach diet is not that bad. The first 2 weeks of it is only meant to boost your confidence on the plan but is a big no-no if you do sports. But remember most of these diets are for average americans who thing walking to the bus stop is exercise or they had a big day cuz they went shopping.

The rest of the SB plan is basically to eat right just put in a fancy package.

The best book I have recently read on the subject is the ABSdiet by the editor of Mens Health. It explains this plainly and accounts for normal people on the go. Not a silver bullet but pretty good book.

Main thing is to go as natural as possible staying away from process crap
Eat mederately at each meal
Exercise

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I'm 6 ft & under 170lbs, stuff I normally try to eat

I eat 5 times a day

chicken (grilled or baked & no SKIN!)
turkey or tuna sandwiches w/low fat dressing and no fat cheese
lean steak (ie sirlon)
banana's/apples/oranges
yogurt
water / gator ade
fish (not fried)
pasta
salad w/low fat dressing
energy bars / granola bars
potatoes

I should eat more veggies

ofcourse, I do on occasion eat pizza or a burger - you cant completely deprive yourself.

but stay AWAY from fried foods (NO fast food, NO cookies, NO french fries, NO wings, NO maz sticks, NO sausage breakfast sandwich, etc)

and look at the nutrition on the back of stuff before you throw in in your cart!

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Hiya biggins -

me fought the sleepy stage awhile ago, though not for eating fried foods, but for eating no meat and not supplementing well. Anyways, I've found that lots of fruits and veggies, more water than you think you need or want (tea is your friend), and always making your food yourself a) saves the budget and b) saves the waistline/tiredness.

I'm always dirt poor - trying desperately to pay off debts I've accumulated...so I've been learning to make soups like my sweetie does, and really dress up potatoes, take the time to make a stirfry and so on. It's a bit of a time commitment, but I swear, I never spend more than 20 minutes on any single meal just for myself. That's usually cooking the potato or the chicken or whatever that's to be the main course, and while htey cook, I take a shower from my night ride or activity. :)