Quantcast

Help me destroy her

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Hey all,

I painted this about a month ago....and am not satisfied, but don't know why.

I need your help.

Could you please take a look at her and tell me what you think I should do?
I also posted this in an artsy fartsy forum, but figured that you all would be more creative (or at the very least, funnier)!

:thumb:

I do want to say that she is acrylic, so the camera picked up some shine that isn't indicative of how lightly I painted.....

Thank You!

What you should do is keep painting. That's terrific!

I spent a few years throwing stoneware. Throw a pot, fire it, think some, talk to potters or don't, throw another. Over time your hands tell you what you had to say some time in the past. Don't get too analytical.

OK, now I'll shut up.

J

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
thanks JBP

I was painting on it for about two days without knowing what the hell I was supposed to be doing....but it didn't take me anywhere, so I started another painting that I am in the middle of...........

so this blue chick has just been waiting on me.

moneyshot!!!! well, I knew I would get some interesting ideas in here.

:)

That's why I love you guys.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i dunno why you want to be critiqued by a bunch of monkeys?

it's great though, but if you twist my arm, and if it was my work, i'd go detail crazy on her eyes (try to give her not such a dead look), give her more detail in the strands of hair, and add more smaller stars in her hair, and leave everything else the hell alone.

But what do i know i haven't painted anything in over 10 years.... :think:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
MudGrrl said:
Hey all,

It's a excellent painting, and you aren't satisfied?

That means you're on the right track.

Time to start a new painting.

To quote a good friend: "Satisfaction is the death of desire."

I've been playing drums for over 20 years. In all of the 15+ records that I've been involved with, I'm never totally satisfied. That's the artist's burden I suppose.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Skookum said:
i'd go detail crazy on her eyes (try to give her not such a dead look), give her more detail in the strands of hair, and add more smaller stars in her hair, and leave everything else the hell alone.
I was thinking about giving her a slight smile....so she doesn't look dead (I honestly didn't realize that until you said it).

Great suggestion about the eyes :)

splat

Nam I am
THis is a Bike forum after all , so She should be wearing a full face helmet.

seriously , I like it the only thing is she looks dead! open her eyes haveing them starring into space or something, open her arms up a little so they don't look crammed in next to her body , needs some sort of Life to it.

You must remeber this is from some one who has no artisitc ability what so ever !

edit: Hey I just got a Cool idea , can you subliminally hide a bicycle in the curls of her hair !!!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Not Satisfied? That is a great painting! I'd suggest a beer for the satisfaction part. If that doesn't work, try another. Satisfaction will soon follow ;)

Seriously, there is no end to the amount of tweeking you can do over a piece of art. So not bieng totally satisfied is just part of art, you can't perfectly reproduce whats in your mind's eye.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Make it all like, trippy so N8 can smoke rock and veg out when he looks at it.

MudGrrl said:
I was thinking about giving her a slight smile....so she doesn't look dead (I honestly didn't realize that until you said it).

Great suggestion about the eyes :)
Waal, your title was something like "help me kill her" and despite the stars in her hair, the blue, the position, the closed eyes could suggest death, you might be saying something that you're not aware of.

But - don't get analytical, leave that to the critics. Just keep painting.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
splat said:
THis is a Bike forum after all , so She should be wearing a full face helmet.
maybe that's why she looks dead?
She hit something and is laying on the dirt, wondering what the hell happened?

Dazed with stars around her head.....

splat said:
You must remeber this is from some one who has no artisitc ability what so ever!
But you have the ability to tell me what looks wrong, and in doing so, you are helping me out greatly! :)

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
johnbryanpeters said:
Waal, your title was something like "help me kill her"
I should have titled the thread "help me rip her apart"

I am just looking for all of the weaknesses so I can fix them.

Generally, I start and finish a piece and am slightly satisfied (more to do with the act of creating), but this one's different.

she's pissing me off. :D

so, here I am asking for some help from friends.

"Hi, my name's MudGrrl and I want to know why my own painting's pissing me off."

"Hi, I'm MudGrrl's painting. I am the blue woman. I may have fallen, I may have slept. My medusa hair becomes the splintered fabric of my world, so dark the stars shine through. I fear to look, the cold stars could pull me into endless night into death, or have I arrived there now? The edges of the night are jagged, though, my passage through could mean destruction, or is it release? Why your anger, is it rooted in fear? fear of night, of death, of yet another unknown? Let the anger go, go through the anger and grow."

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
The arms. Everything has flow ... 'cept the arms. Loosen them up and the painting will jump to life. At least ... that's what I see ;)

I like the swirly's ... great work. :)

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I see in it a woman struggling to make order out of chaos. It wears her out though and she is beginning to wonder if in the end it really matters.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
johnbryanpeters said:
"Hi, my name's MudGrrl and I want to know why my own painting's pissing me off."

"Hi, I'm MudGrrl's painting. Why your anger, is it rooted in fear? fear of night, of death, of yet another unknown? Let the anger go, go through the anger and grow."
:nuts: :think: :D

JBP..... I hardly ever put a painting down and pick it back up...especially after a month or longer.
This is a rare thing.

I am working on another painting at the moment, so I am moving on in a way.

Do you have any pics of your work?
I am interested in seeing it.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
It seems like something isn't quite right with the framing of the subject. The focal point should be the face with the flowing hair drawing your eye towards it in a curvy whimsical (prehaps even suductive) way. However the framing of the image has made the hair the focal point which isn't what we as humans are conditioned to respond to. I think that the face isn't in the right place in the frame. You might also try cropping the image to draw the face more towards the center of the frame. You don't want it dead center. If you divided the frame into 1/3s and you centered the face on this line you might find that its more pleasing to your eye. Don't worry about cutting off some of the curls. Your imagination will fill in the blanks. Its that whole rule of 3rds thing you hear about. Its more or less just something to consider for next time.

Other than that I think it is great. Excellent use of colors, very well proportioned face. And of course very cool hair....

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
MudGrrl said:
Hey all,

I need your help.

Could you please take a look at her and tell me what you think I should do?
I also posted this in an artsy fartsy forum, but figured that you all would be more creative (or at the very least, funnier)!

:thumb:

I do want to say that she is acrylic, so the camera picked up some shine that isn't indicative of how lightly I painted.....

Thank You!
Sh!t girl, I say hang it on your wall for a few months and let time decide what needs to happen with it. How big is this thing? Note... it looks like it would be a good pastel piece, also your style lends itself that way.

I myself have 3 art degrees (fine art, Commercial Illustration, Graphic Design) so I spent a good deal of time in my early years dinking around with Acrylic paint... always hated it, dried to fast, so I gravitated toward oil and never looked back.

NOTE: Shoulders are a little stiff, hair is loose and flowy but arms look like a dead person win a coffin (maybe you were going for that though)... but dont kill it trying to fix it without a good plan. How thick is that paint? If its fairly thin you could paint her arms kind of sprawled out to her side... that would loosen it up a bit.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
HELLO!?

she was upside down
MudGrrl said:
I'm going to hire you to be my art assistant.

With such a title, your duties will include critiquing, setting up still lifes, and searching for nude models.
:D
Ha! You're not good enough to be the nude model, you have to check out other dudes for her. Bwahahaha!!!!

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Golgi...
I was waiting on you and your art experience

I did let it sit for a month to see what would evolve, but nothing hit me.

And yes, I have considered oils, but the way I work is suited for acrylics.... maybe in a few years I'll pick up the turpentine. I have no patience....I like to get things done quickly.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I've been a graphic designer/art director for over 18 years and I think your work is fantastic. Is there more to see? A site, a PDF of your portfolio?