Quantcast

Help me do something stupid... replace Sid with more travel anything

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have become dissatisfied with the 100mm of the Sid RL on my hardtail, everything else about the bike works well for me but I want more travel or a smoother fork that resists bottoming out at full sag. If I run 15% I only get about 80% of travel, 20% will get 100% of travel but bottoms out easily.

This is the bike - size small.

The last time I looked into this I was told a 150mm fork would eff up the geometry and make the bike difficult to handle at speed.

Based on the geometry of this frame - what is the maximum travel you would be comfortable with?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Put a token into the SID, run your 20% sag and it won't bottom out as easily.

edit: I think I've a bunch of 32mm compatible tokens if that fork will take them. Otherwise to change fork you'll also need a new headset and stem as that has the Giant "Overdrive 2" steerer which is 1 1/4" instead of the normal 1 1/8". You could probably go to a 120mm fork without altering the geo too badly.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Put a token into the SID, run your 20% sag and it won't bottom out as easily.

edit: I think I've a bunch of 32mm compatible tokens if that fork will take them. Otherwise to change fork you'll also need a new headset and stem as that has the Giant "Overdrive 2" steerer which is 1 1/4" instead of the normal 1 1/8". You could probably go to a 120mm fork without altering the geo too badly.
Yes, nothing from FOX seems compatible with the headset, I will research adding tokens to a Sid.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^^Start with what 6th Element said. Adding tokens decreases the size of the air chamber, which increases bottom out resistance. That change is felt mostly toward the end of the travel, allowing you to retain your sag point and small bump compliance, but keep from blowing through travel deeper in the travel.

If that doesn't do it, you should be able to go to 120 without messing things up too much. Each time you add fork travel, you raise the bottom bracket, slacken the seat angle, increase standover height, and change a few other things, most of which are negatives in most people's opinions. 20 mm won't have too big an impact, but I agree with others who told you 50 mm will mess it up. (Adding fork travel also slackens the head angle, which most see as a good thing (too a point), but it doesn't happen in a vacuum.)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I took the cap off and it does not look token compatible. I'm wondering if swapping the air cap for one that accepts tokens will do the trick? SIDs from 2011 on are token compatible.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah with no threads underneath the cap it looks like you need the kit JK linked to. I just have a bunch of tokens I never used, but they need the compatible cap.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
X-Fusion Trace RC 29er Forks weirdly comes in various headset configurations. Its a good fork. Plenty of travel. Easy to service. Good performance. Good price too.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Update - as it turns out the fork may not be bottoming out, there is something wrong with the adjustment of the lockout remote - bouncing in the parking lot engages the lockout easily. The cable may have stretched or something.