Quantcast

Help me find a new bike....

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
So, my trailbike got stolen (Giant VT) and it needs a replacement. I might go used, might go new, still need to check the funds.

Anyway, here's what I am looking for in a complete bike (this is ideally, not that I NEED to have all of these qualities):
5+ inches of travel
prefer around 30lbs total weight
prefer air suspension
tubeless
dual piston hydro discs
suspension quality is more important to me than parts
As close to $2000 as I can get (cheaper's better!)

Just as an example, I've been looking at bikes like the C'dale Prophet, Kona Dawg, Giant Reign and Spec Enduro. One of the big problems is that every time I find something decent, it has some cheesy part (Hayes Sole.....ewwww....) on it that bothers me or is too expensive or something.

If it helps, I am about 5'10" and 180 lbs. I ride pretty hard and in all conditions. Some drops, some big climbs...all mountain...

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Get a frame only and build it up, if you've got some time there are always deals to be found. Do you prefer one type of suspension over another - you've got a single pivot, linkage actuated single pivot, multi-link, and horst link listed and they will all have different ride characteristics.

How about something like a MKIII and upgrade what you don't like?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeah, I've been looking at the MkIII a bit. Price is decent. I am a bit turned off by the steep head angle thing. I felt that even my VT was a bit steep...

I have no real preference on suspension design because I have not ridden that many different ones. I've only owned single pivots and linkage driven single pivots.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Stick with Giant (good bang for the buck)... their new trail bikes look really nice.

I still really like the Titus SB for a trailbike and you could make reliable trailbike out of it well under 30lbs, might run you close to your 2k line though.

For the über budget go with IH... their trail bikes look fantastic and the price is oh so right.

EDIT: most trailbikes built for an air shock w/ 5" of travel @ 30 lbs are going to have a non DH headangle like the VT. You could always get something like the IH and then slap one of those massive SC forks on it to give you some more slack.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
jdschall said:
sigh. I really want a Transition Preston FR. sigh
:drool: Sorgie has a Preston and it's a great bike!!!

I would think that the IH MKIII would be a good option for a reasonable price. I would also recommend the Prophet or perhaps try looking at a Yeti 575 (although it wouldn't be under $2000 with tubeless wheels). T-Blazer sells Yeti's and Sq-Earl rides one (rather abusively too) so if you need some more information on them, let me or T-Blazer know. I am hoping to switch over to a Yeti for this race season.

TreeSaw said:
:drool: Sorgie has a Preston and it's a great bike!!!

I would think that the IH MKIII would be a good option for a reasonable price. I would also recommend the Prophet or perhaps try looking at a Yeti 575 (although it wouldn't be under $2000 with tubeless wheels). T-Blazer sells Yeti's and Sq-Earl rides one (rather abusively too) so if you need some more information on them, let me or T-Blazer know. I am hoping to switch over to a Yeti for this race season.
TreeSaw, I love you! :love: About to pop with your first kid and you're planning the next race season... :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Make weekend trips to as many Local Bike shops that you can and try a few out. Although it might be hard to find an Iron Horse in a local bike shop.

So many great options out there. If you liked the VT a lot, I know of a local shop that has two VTs still on the sales floor and they are heavily discounted.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Well, I was going to suggest a Santa Cruz Blur LT, but that would be about a $1000 more than you are planning on spending.

You could look into a Heckler, you can pick them up with an air shock and good parts for a little more than $2200. Definitely a wicked little bike.

I've built up and ridden the Kona Dawg's, good bikes, I definitely like them. Kona tends to skimp on a few parts though, so you may end up with something lower end than you would like.

Personally I think the specialized enduro for around $2200 would be a great bike. Ya it has Sole brakes, but run them for a year and then replace them, you still have a killer frame to ride on. I would definitely look at that. Hell, talk to the shop and see if they can swap out the brakes for some HFX9's or Mags or whatever you want. They will probably give you credit on the Soles and a bit of a deal. I've been itching to ride one of those bikes, I'd definitely look at it.

No offense but your requirements are a bit heavy for the price range you are looking at. Do you really need tubeless? How close to 30lbs do you want to be?

I'd say my choices for a bike in that range would be Specialized, Santa Cruz, Kona, Iron Horse. Upgrade later on, get the frame you really want though.

The Ito

Personally I've never been a fan of