Quantcast

Help me find a pair of shoes!

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I'm having difficulty finding a shoe that won't make my toes go numb. Even after adjusting the velcro and ratchet mid-ride, my toes stay numb. I've had a pair of Sidi Dominators and most recently the high end Shimano Carbon sole mountain shoes....both fit perfectly and with no problems after 20+ minutes in the store but after riding in them my toes go numb. Since no store will let me mount a set of cleats and pedal around on a pair of shoes I might not buy, how do I know if the shoe I'm buying won't numb up my toes? I'll pay anything for a mountain shoe that won't make my toes numb so cost isn't an issue.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
1) They fit, but you're over-tightening them. Ease off a bit. Riding shoes have very effecient closing mechanisms and you're probably crushing your feet. Especially once you start exercising your feet expand. Once you've comnpressed your foot enough to make it go numb, it's going to take a while to recover. You need to stop it going numb in the first place.

or

2) Some people are sensitive to ultra rigid soles. Both the shoes youmention are super stiff. Your foot is used to flexing and moving. Being held in a highly immobile position whilst the rest of your leg is flexing and exercising hard is bound to cause cramping issues. Try a less extremely stiff shoe.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
flats and sneakers.

I've never dabbled in the dark science of clipping in.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
suggestions:
1. move the cleat forward or aft of its current position

2. get a 1/2-size larger shoe (your feet swell when riding)

I had this problem till I went a size larger. All my life I wore 39s... then I started running and found myself in a 40. I kept getting blisters and thought it was the socks. Then a very smart sales guy measured my foot and suggested 42. "But I've never worn a 42!" I protested.
He looked at me with a blank expression, "Ya think that's why maybe you're getting blisters?"

I changed my bike shoes to 42s also. Hot spots, blisters, and numb toes disappeared when I got the right size, which is a little larger than my "street" shoe.