Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Sell a used bike on eBay!

I'm looking to buy in mid April but started trolling early as small bikes are a tough sell, most of what I've found will still be around - definitely not a seller's market for what I'm after.

Small Niner Rip 9 RDO Carbon with full XTR/Enve Carbon/KS Lev/Kashima etc

Small 26" 2013 Stumpjumper expert EVO carbon, Troy Lee Designs edition

2012 Yeti SB66 mountain bike, small

SPECIALIZED S-WORKS ENDURO CARBON FSR SMALL 2014 CARBON WHEELS XX1 DROPPER

2015 Small Santa Cruz 5010C Brand New Never Ridden Showroom Condition

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Quite a range! They're all good.

The newer enduro is the ballerest...But a pretty big bike.

The yeti will make you happy... I wonder what fork is on it. You need a dropper for extra dental cred though.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I've owned the enduro and the stumpy, both same generations you're looking at. Stumpy evo is a rad bike, but the newer generation enduro pedals better and smashes down trails better. Maybe a slight weight penalty, but unless you don't want the travel, the enduro wins IMO. Oh yeah, stiffer frame too.

I think the stumpy these are based off of was originally designed with a brain shock, so without that and more travel, they are pretty stinking "active". Which can be fun, but I was never impressed with the pedaling

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Bunch of good options. I'd take a 2014 or 2015 over a 2012 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If you decided you wanted the Yeti (and I wouldn't blame you), I'd look newer. They have been blown out on sale a bunch so you could find something comparable to your other choices in age/price. I think you kinda need to decide whether you want a "big bike" like the SB/enduro or a "small bike" like the 5010 or stumper. Also, as small santa cruz is gonna be a lot smaller than a small yeti so check on that...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The newer enduro is the ballerest...But a pretty big bike.
I've owned the enduro and the stumpy, both same generations you're looking at. Stumpy evo is a rad bike, but the newer generation enduro pedals better and smashes down trails better. Mabye a slight weight penalty...
I think you kinda need to decide whether you want a "big bike" like the SB/enduro or a "small bike" like the 5010 or stumper. Also, as small santa cruz is gonna be a lot smaller than a small yeti so check on that...
By big are you thinking weight or ability to through it around? I'm not too concerned over weight but I do need a bike that is easy to control.

I've done enough speed and killer climbing to last a lifetime so now I am looking for fun, durability and easy maintenance. The trails I ride the most are along the Missouri River, decents are technical and short, climbs are not ball busters. I'm not the most skilled rider; I need enough travel to keep me out of trouble on descents and a frame that is easy for me to control on tight trails.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Having an SB, I would recommend the SC. You pick up the new tire standard, which means more tire selections as time goes along. I prefer the ride of the SB, but you very much put yourself into a corner over time when you need wheel specific/sized parts.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Some of the bikes your looking at are on pb also. That scout in utah, I'd offer 2750 and pick it up if your willing to drive.
It's not that they are listed on Pink Bike that bothers me, if I am buying based on a description and photos and things do not go my way I have some recourse though ebay and paypal. If the bike is close enough to inspect in person I really don't care where it's listed. In years past if someone was going to get screwed on an Internet deal it always seemed to be a pink bike seller. That's why I am cautious.

That said I will join Pink Bike this weekend end and see how firm she is on the price.

Thanks for the lead.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
how small are you?

i ask cause i am 5'7" and ride a medium. And wouldn't you know it i have a nice trek slash 9.8 for sale in a 17.5! 3200$ with a pike rc3t instead of the stock rc.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
how small are you?

i ask cause i am 5'7" and ride a medium. And wouldn't you know it i have a nice trek slash 9.8 for sale in a 17.5! 3200$ with a pike rc3t instead of the stock rc.
I briefly considered a stache but would need to test ride one before I bought. I am also 5 foot 7 and have owned and ridden over a dozen medium frames just fine but the most fun bike I ride is a small.

The main reason I need a small is range of motion in my right shoulder, it's 75% of the left shoulder making it difficult to take tight lefts at any kind of speed.

Thanks for responding a good luck selling your stache.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
By big are you thinking weight or ability to through it around? I'm not too concerned over weight but I do need a bike that is easy to control.

I've done enough speed and killer climbing to last a lifetime so now I am looking for fun, durability and easy maintenance. The trails I ride the most are along the Missouri River, decents are technical and short, climbs are not ball busters. I'm not the most skilled rider; I need enough travel to keep me out of trouble on descents and a frame that is easy for me to control on tight trails.
Your riding sounds pretty similar to our local stuff (piedmont of NC). I think an SB or enduro would be a lot of bike for that terrain and something with less travel (a "small bike") would be more fun, more maneuverable and faster in rolling terrain with tight corners, plus easier to muscle around with your shoulder. I think every bike on your list has enough travel to keep you out of trouble.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I vote 5010 or Scout. New wheel size that all new tires will come in, as many stupid new tires are out there, there are still some new treads and casings especially that are quite worth riding. You'll have an easier time finding a deal on used or close out wheels too. They're also fairly simple and easy frames to maintain. The SB is a great bike, but that crazy eccentric thing is going to be a PITA down the line.

I really like my Carbine, and the 5010 will ride very similarly, i think it will also be easier to find with higher end components for the same price, thus reducing maintainable, and making it more likely you'll find the service parts you need in the future.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

I just meant lotsa travel. Nice for soaking up and saving ones ass, but perhaps more than you need.