Quantcast

Help me lighten my V10.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
First off, I'm NOT a weight weenie. I would just like to shed a few lbs, maybe get it down to 40-41ish. Currently sits at 45lbs

2005 V10 Large
Fox DHX w/steel spring
Fox 40 w/ Risse crown and E.13 Ali stem
Azonic Outlaws
Avid Codes 203mm
X.0 Shift and derailleur
Gamut P40 Guide
RaceFace Diabolus Cranks
Thompson Post
WTB Laser V Pro Gel saddle
Sunline V1 29.5" bar
Crank Brothers Mallet C's

Although when I tore it apart, probably somewhere between 1-2 cups of water drained out of the frame, so that added anywhere between a half to a full pound to my weight measurement. Any recommendations for improving the drainage on my frame? I've heard drill a hole in the downtube just before the BB, anyone do that?

As a starting point, my Frame, axle, King HS and Diabolus X-Type BB weigh 11.99lbs.

Any tips for shedding a few lbs? I'm planning on ordering a CCDB with a Ti spring in the next week or 2, not sure how much weight that will save. I'd like to get lighter cranks, but I'm very hard on them as I've bent 2 sets of RaceFace NorthShore DH's on my old bike that had a higher BB, and I ride generally very rocky trails (Tunnel and Cold Springs in SB). Any other areas where I can shave some weight. I have the bike torn apart at the moment and figure now is a good time to change some stuff up.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
definently go some gravity light cranks, very strong and like 800g with bb which is great!
possible go an LG1 guide, though this migh not have the strength needed if you ride rock areas, since it can screw with your tabs.
new wheels could loose afew ounds, something like 721s on hope pro 2, which arent ridicliously expensive and will shave the pound (though i cant realy tell what you wheelset it)

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
Ti spring for sure, switch to a juicy ultimate 185 in the rear (lose the CF blade, straitline), Hone or XT cranks, lighter saddle, Wellgo MG1's.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Cant tell what you are running for a cassette, but it looks big (as does your chainring?). The difference in weight between an LX and XT/ultegra is pretty big for not too much $$....depends on the gear ratios you need for the up-hills, but 36/11 is plenty for the downs.

Saints are a bit lighter but give up nothing in strength.

your seat is a tank

wheel could be a bit lighter, you could also do a tubeless conversion to loose max effect rotating weight. Some DH tubes are 2 lbs EACH!!

I personally would not give up an 8 in rear rotor for heat dissapation on long runs(but I run very light rotors) but there are lighter brakes for sure. your call

Last edited:

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
pedals mg1's or the new twentysix pedals
saint cranks, any lighter and you will bend them
formula or hope mono 4 brakes
look at a new wheelset, hope pro2's with 721's or 823's for tubeless
seat, some thing smaller.

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
New Saddle: Sunline V1 or one around/under 200g
New Cranks: Gravity Light
New Wheelset: Hoper Pro II hubs, dt swiss comp spokes, 721 rims

Than if you want to strip some more weight:
New Chainring: e13 36T
New Chainguide: Gamut P30
New Cassette: 11-23 Dura-Ace (or something like that)

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
change the seat, sunline or a sdg or devo. 1/4 to 1/2 lb.

wheelset, hope pro II's lace with dt swiss comp spokes with brass nipples (stronger then alum.) to mavic 823's tubeless- this combo right here is going to save me more then 2.5 pounds alone on my rig. and thats huge for rotational weight.

also like you said with the shock/TI spring thats another pound.

you can build the wheelset for about 500 bucks and that is going to be your best bet right there.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Hey mate i used to have the same v10, and this is how i got it to 40.

Mavic wheels on hope pro 2, not the lightest but lighter than urs, but super strong
Ti spring
Ti bolts, mainly the 2 main shock bolts www.tibolts.co.uk
Saint brakes
Saint cranks
Sella italia saddle, cut down thomson seatpost
DMR v12 mags
Easton Carbon bars

But i dont have it anymore..i have a better bike now!!:biggrin:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
As mentioned saddle, and possibly a carbon post. Syntace makes some crazy light stuff

Jun 10, 2008
Minnesota
Hey mate i used to have the same v10, and this is how i got it to 40.

Mavic wheels on hope pro 2, not the lightest but lighter than urs, but super strong
Ti spring
Ti bolts, mainly the 2 main shock bolts www.tibolts.co.uk
Saint brakes
Saint cranks
Sella italia saddle, cut down thomson seatpost
DMR v12 mags
Easton Carbon bars

But i dont have it anymore..i have a better bike now!!:biggrin:

This bike looks badazz