Quantcast

Help me loose some weight please!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

I know this is a touchy subject, especially for women, but also for men, they just don't admit it.

I am 21 and weight 230 pounds. I am 6ft in height. Pretty simple

I don't drink beer or hard anything, usually don't eat all that much junk food. I don't really exercise short of walking to the tops of trails on weekends or riding down the trail. I am about as fundamentally lazy as you get. Please let me explain.

From age 11-16, i had to ride a bicycle everywhere. My mom did not drive and dad worked nights. Once I was a freshmen in high school, I was riding XC with some buddies, but they lived 10 miles from me, so I'd ride to their house, to the trail, down the trail, and then sometimes back. I rode alot.

But.....Once I turned 16, everyone was into girls and cars more so that was where the attention went. I was surfing 5-7 days a week for 3-4 hours per day after school. That was until I was 18

After highschool back in 2000, I started working a deskjob 9-5. I didn't have much enegy to go out and do anything. That was till about January of this year.

So basicly, I am lazy, no if's buts or ands. I have a small weight deal in our garage (girlfriends house) and have a punching bag as well. I even thought about getting rollers. My diet sucks for the most part, eating late at night etc... and snacking, but dinners are pretty health since my girlfriend is on weight watchers. So soda (if that is it) and cheese which I eat, I can cut out most of.

I would like to loose 20-30lbs Max, and possibly gain some muscle. I wouldn't mind being 230 and have more muscle, but I have to start somewhere.

What are some suggestions on how to loose the weight. I'd like to stay the same body shape as 99% of my XXL or XL bike stuff fits fine, a tad tight but fits. My waist up is the problem, not my legs or anything. I don't want a six pack, don't care, just want to gain some muscle and drop some weight and get down to the low 200lbs mark.

You guys seem to help out others, and the encouragement is great. I agree that the online calc's for your body weight are sh!t. I can still run, jump, do anything without being out of breath, or being tired, probably better than some people in shape, but I'd like to trim down a bit.

Please guys, give me some insight.

Thanks,
Chris

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
Hey Chris,

First off just wanted to say that it's great that you're young, had a physically active adolescence and realize you need more exercise in your life. All of these factors should really help in your weight loss goals.

The diet aspect is a really key component here. I worked in the health food industry for many years and I've seen all the trendy gimmicks you could ever imagine. NONE of which can replace a healthy, well balanced diet combined with regular exercise(weight training and cardio).
Starting off each day with a real breakfast is essential. You should aim for some complex carbs (i.e.whole grain cereal or toast), and some quality protein. Poached eggs are great. I can't emphasize breakfast enough: it is the fuel that starts your motor for the whole day, make it count.
There is nothing wrong with snacking on the right foods. Most nutritionists agree that having small meals throughout the day is better for digestion and energy levels. Especially important when you incorporate regular exercise.
Good snacks examples: yogourt, toast and peanut butter, almonds. There are some excellent nutrition resources out there that I can pass along if you're interested.
The main things to avoid though when seeking healthy weight loss are highly processed foods . The average North American junk food diet is high in saturated & hydrogenated fat, sodium, sugar and low in fibre and nutrients. Most people start to crave healthier food the more they eat it. The inverse is true also.
The key with food is balance. Appropriate amounts of vegetables, fruit, grain foods and proteins. Talk to your girlfriend about her WW plan, they have solid advice.
One more thing I have to mention about food is water. You have to drink water. Dehydration has a HUGE effect on energy levels and people often mistake signs of thirst for hunger and end up over eating when they should be drinking. If you don't drink much water now, ease into it. Eventually, you will not be able to go without 8-10 glasses a day.
As for exercise, a balanced routine of cardio and weights is essential. Find the type of cardio that you enjoy, be it swimming, running, cycling, ultimate frisbee, anything that gets your heart pumping. I really believe that some people get turned off exercise b/c they haven't found an activity that they enjoy and doesn't feel like a chore.
Weight training is awesome. Great stress release b/c of the focus and emphasis on breath that's required. If you can incorporate some weights into your week (2x a week is a good start), you look and feel so much better. Go to a gym for some pointers on proper techniques if you're rusty.

Okay, time to wrap this up. Just remember: it takes a while to accumulate weight, so it will take a while to lose it. Safe, gradual weight loss is the way to go.

I'm sure there are other monkeys on this site who are better qualified than me to offer suggestions.
You sound like a level headed person, so don't beat yourself up and think of getting healthier as the best gift you can give to yourself.

Good luck,
monkeywench

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i used to be a tubby kid 195# and 6'2'' i'm now a skinny ass XC racer and 160# basically if you want to lose weight you have to cut back on calories a day. I've heard that you need 15Xyour weight in pounds and thats about what you need a day so than for you, you need something like 3450 calories to keep that weight if you take out 1000 calories a day you will lose 2 pounds a week. 1 pound = 3500 calories

So if you start counting all the calories you eat you will lose weight preety fast and you'll notice that good food has loads less calories than junk food so you can eat more. If you also excersise that will help alot and if you ride your bike it will help to ride up the hills not just down them.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Stop pushing you bike and pedal up those hills, I don't care if your bike weighs 50LBS... it can be done!

Pick up the habbit of regular sustained cadrio activity. If you don't mind running try working up to 3 5 mile runs per week - they'll only take you 45 minutes. Do your runs in the morning and your metabolism will work harder all day long. Don't like running? Try road biking 20 miles a day 3 days week... it's important that your route is flat... you burn more calories on a climb but not enough to make up for the effortless down hill bits. The key is steady and long.

Don't fool yourself - "I can still run, jump, do anything without being out of breath, or being tired, probably better than some people in shape, but I'd like to trim down a bit." Of course you can - you are only 21.

For your height and the fitness level you would like to acheive, I would suggest shooting for 180 LBS. Why? You are young and male - loosing will be easy for you once you make the commitment.

Also remember that strength training does not burn a lot of fat, you'll be stronger but you'll still have a high percent of body fat.

Cadio, cardio, cardio!!! At your age I wouldn't worry about calories as long as they are quality calories, concentrate on physical activity. Good luck!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
first things first. if you are snacking a lot you have no clue how much you are eating in one day. WRITE IT DOWN. the easiest way to loose weight is to write everything that you eat down. if you know you will write it down, it will make you think twice before going to the fridge at midnight. i carry a journal but if you dont want to lug a book around all day just keep a slip of paper in your wallet.

second get out and excercise. just do it. now that its warming up, its easy to get out and just go for a walk.

if you watch what you eat and excercise you will loose weight. you just have to do it.

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Originally posted by Serial Midget
.. it's important that your route is flat... you burn more calories on a climb but not enough to make up for the effortless down hill bits. The key is steady and long.

I agree, and have been trying to find a route. Nothing is flat here in North Van :mad:

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
Originally posted by monkeywench

One more thing I have to mention about food is water. You have to drink water. Dehydration has a HUGE effect on energy levels and people often mistake signs of thirst for hunger and end up over eating when they should be drinking. If you don't drink much water now, ease into it. Eventually, you will not be able to go without 8-10 glasses a day.
Depending on your job, go out and get a Nalgeen bottle or some type of water container. I work behind a computer all day and make it a point to drink after every few tickets that I work. I probably drink about 60-90 oz of water a day, just at work, and don't even think about it. I have noticed that because of my water intake, I am able to sustain energy and maintain my weight. I also notice on my days off that I am always thirsty and that's when the false hunger feeling comes in. I always try to have a water bottle somewhere near me. Water is your friend.

This is only one piece of the puzzle. SM, Laura and Monkeywench add some good point about cardio and diet.