Quantcast

Help me make up my mind?

I'm planning on getting my first FS XC bike this year and can't decide between a trail bike or a straight up XC, I plan on racing some local sport races and maybe race sport at the Snowshoe Nationals. There is only about a 1 lb difference between the 2 bikes... would the XLT really hold me back on climbs... it has adjustable travel and lock outs.

OR

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
caboverpete said:
Dont know right off hand... retail i think there is about a grand difference between the 2.... my in-laws own the shop though so im not too concerneed about price difference.

Did you marry just to get the hook-up on bikes :sneaky:

I'm not saying that's a bad thing ;)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Man, that 2nd bike is sweet, and probably more trail-bike worthy. The fox TALAS on the front gives you an awesome range of adjustability for the geometry, from XC climbing to techy descending. The tubless wheels/tires are nice, too, and the new XT cranks...great stuff. If the price difference won't be that big with your hook-up, I'd go for #2.

Is there a geometry difference between them? The bars on both look ridiculously high, by the way, and this is coming from a downhiller...gonna be best off moving some spacers around and maybe changing stems...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
How much travel do the two bikes have? If you're talking about a 4" XC bike versus a 5" trail bike, I'd say there's probably not going to be a huge difference, especially once you get used to which ever bike you go with.

How will the bike be used most of the time... as a racer or a trail bike? An XC bike makes a fine occasional trail bike, and a well tuned trail bike makes a fine occasional racer.

How do they fit/what's the geometry like? This might be the biggest difference between the two. Geometry will become important very quickly if you get into racing.

Do you do any racing now? If so, what bike do you race? Keep in mind that racing an XC race frame is going to be a bit different from a 4" XC bike, and very different from a 5" trail bike. Not saying that's good or bad, just keep in mind the psychology of it all.

My gut is to go with the trail bike. It's more versatile, and will handle occasional races well enough. If you get to the point where you're racing every week, you're going to want a dedicated race bike. A 5" bike still has a place in your garage next to a true race bike... a 4" XC bike may or may not.

jacksonpt said:
How much travel do the two bikes have? If you're talking about a 4" XC bike versus a 5" trail bike, I'd say there's probably not going to be a huge difference, especially once you get used to which ever bike you go with.

How will the bike be used most of the time... as a racer or a trail bike? An XC bike makes a fine occasional trail bike, and a well tuned trail bike makes a fine occasional racer.

How do they fit/what's the geometry like? This might be the biggest difference between the two. Geometry will become important very quickly if you get into racing.

Do you do any racing now? If so, what bike do you race? Keep in mind that racing an XC race frame is going to be a bit different from a 4" XC bike, and very different from a 5" trail bike. Not saying that's good or bad, just keep in mind the psychology of it all.

My gut is to go with the trail bike. It's more versatile, and will handle occasional races well enough. If you get to the point where you're racing every week, you're going to want a dedicated race bike. A 5" bike still has a place in your garage next to a true race bike... a 4" XC bike may or may not.
Well the dakar XC is 3.5"rear and the XLT is adjustable from 3-5 front and rear. I havent raced XC in years... but im switching back after a couple broken arms from DH.. i was racing expert in DH.

I have a Ti hardtail that Ill be keeping that I could race also... so maybe the trail bike is the way to go.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Def. go with the XLT. You can adjust it to nearly full-on XC style front and rear, and jack it up for comfort/descending on casual rides. Better parts pick, and even if the XC is a lb lighter, the XLT has lighter wheels (tubeless!), so you're better off for pedalling...

Well the weights come from the Jamis info so im not sure how accurate it is. The XLT is a bit slacker.... the only thing im worrying about are the long 4-5 miles fireroad climbs we do around here... I like to be the guy waiting at the top for everyone else :D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Does the slacker HA come from the frame, or from having a longer fork on an identical frame? When you dial the TALAS down, it will be the same length as the shorter XC fork, with lockout (and adjustable blowoff) for those fireroads.

The Toninator said:
i like the espert. jamis looks to be doing some neat stuff, carbon seat stays? thats pretty hightech for them.
i have the dragon hardtail and i like it!
Ive had a couple of dragons and a komodo and loved them all.... I think jamis is really the best bang for the buck and alot of people overlook them.

The expert is what i actually have on order .. and have had on order for the last few months with atleast another month of wait. Which has given me time to think myself into this dilemma.