Quantcast

Help me name my Valentines BMX Contest!

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
Reaching out for a little help! I know this should be easy but I haven't come up with anything really good yet. The contest will be Feb 13, 2010 the day before Valentines day at the Escondido Skatepark in the San Diego area. The best I could come up with so far is "I (heart symbol) BMX Jam. Kinda lame huh...

Please keep in mind that it has to be a "family friendly name" If that wasn't the case, this would be much easier.

My contest consist of Novice, Intermediate and Advanced divisions that are also broken down into 2 to 4 age groups for each division. I also have a Pro Class and Best trick. My last couple of contests had 70 plus entries and this one I am hoping to break 100.

If you would like to follow the details on this event, go to: www.myspace.com/bmxcontest

Thanks for your help!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . .
My contest consist of Novice, Intermediate and Advanced divisions that are also broken down into 2 to 4 age groups for each division. I also have a Pro Class and Best trick.
It is AWESOME you are organizing a contest. That does so much to build scenes and create positive vibes in existing ones.

I organized two contests--Fall '98 and Spring '99 in Austin. There hadn't been any local contests in a long time and I felt like it needed to be done. Years later, I still run into riders who remember those two comps. EMPIRE (at that time "Trend") let me use their mail order mailing list and I sent out hundreds of postcards to get the word all around Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma etc. I had no idea how many people would actually show, and the morning of the comp it was ridiculous--packed to capacity. All kinds of riders came out of the woodwork.

Anyway, cheers. :thumb:

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
It is AWESOME you are organizing a contest. That does so much to build scenes and create positive vibes in existing ones.

I organized two contests--Fall '98 and Spring '99 in Austin. There hadn't been any local contests in a long time and I felt like it needed to be done. Years later, I still run into riders who remember those two comps. EMPIRE (at that time "Trend") let me use their mail order mailing list and I sent out hundreds of postcards to get the word all around Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma etc. I had no idea how many people would actually show, and the morning of the comp it was ridiculous--packed to capacity. All kinds of riders came out of the woodwork.

Trend is Empire? Did not know that. cmc, do you remember those Trend shirts that said "video games are for fags, I ride bikes"?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Trend is Empire? Did not know that. cmc, do you remember those Trend shirts that said "video games are for fags, I ride bikes"?
yep. i had the one that said "If Freestyle Is Dead, Quit." i see parrick and ruben reguarly (they come out to my trails) but some of the other guys from that time period (89-92) not so much.

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA

I am nothing more than a dad who rides with my son. The first couple of events I took him to I thought were really lame. So unorganized and so unfriendly to the newer and younger riders. As you know, running a contest can be really challenging but there is such a need for it. My goal is to put events together where a young kid or a new rider isn't intimidated to enter their first contest. So, I have lots of age groups and skill levels so everyone is riding against kids at their level. I have even incorporated a "NO SANDBAGGING" rule. This is where my judges have the opportunity to pull someone out of say the novice class and promote him to the intermediate class on the spot. I tell the kids that if this happens to you, consider in a complement. Anyway, glad to see someone else out there that has experienced what it is like to run an event. If any of you out there are in the San Diego area, I could always use more volunteers!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I can offer up reprint of the shirts! if someone who has a pic of one or wants to give me reference of them, or if you want to give me license to throw something together and see if you like?

that is a great slogan, and something I complain about to my students all the time when ALL they talk about is video games! I always tell them to get out and LIVE A LITTLE! :thumb: