Quantcast

Help me out, gang. (JOBS)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I've been ffunemployed now since the middle of march, having gotten laid-off from my previous awesome permanent job. I've struggled to find a new position, as I have a lot of broad experience, instead of focussed, job-specific experience.

I recently interviewed and got an offer as a temp at a local place, with limited benefits, though it would get me working, get me paid, and get me trained on some good methods. They made me an offer, and would like to know by Monday-ish so I can start in a week or two pending background check.

The problem is that I have an interview Tuesday of next week with a top-ranked (in my field) company as a permanent employee doing what I'd really like to do. I got the interview via a job fair that I thought I had no shot at, since there were literally 300 other people there. They would like to hire me on "roughly" by the middle of July, if things go well.

What's a boy to do? I suppose I can delay acceptance of the first job until after my interview, and can base my decision on how I do at that interview, but I'll have to let them know by then. I won't have too much of a problem accepting then "leaving" before I start if I do get the better offer, but I wouldn't want to start work, work for a couple weeks, then leave to start the new job...that's lower than I'd like to go, but if there's no other way, I've got to work towards permanent employment, and the first job is not temp-perm.

Any suggestions? Should I just go ahead and take the offer, and not feel bad if I have to leave, since it's a temp job? Should I try and work a certain amount of time? Should I try and leverage the offer that I have against the possibility/time frame of the second job? I obviously don't want to get them to rush to a decision, but I need to know within the next week or two, not in 4 weeks...

Any help would be appreciated...I've been out of work for too long, but I also hate being a temp with no benefits.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
They wouldn't feel bad firing you, you shouldn't feel bad quitting.
Life is not a contest of niceness.
Do what you have to do.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Pick one thing you can do that you enjoy, then go to school to focus on that and be more employable.

In the meantime temp it.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Temp work is exactly that, temporary. Don't read into it too far. They deal with people in these positions all the time.

What sort of industry are you in (and where at)?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
biotech, and in Boston. I don't want to get too in detail in case somebody knows somebody or something.

I agree, I always encourage temps I worked with to do what's right for them, I just don't want to screw around and waste my chances.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
As BS noted, show no mercy to employers. Accept offer #1 and quit when you find a better gig. Good luck w/ the interview.