Quantcast

Help me pick one of these Forks...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
These are all similar style forks and will all work for me here. For rough trail riding and aggressive XC. Going on a bike with 5.5" rear air travel.

(1). 5 Manitou Black Platinum air 90-120mm
Features: Handlebar mounted travel, Infinite Travel (IT) Air Spring, TPC Lockout Damping, adjustable everything... $250

(2) Manitou Black Super Coil... 90-120mm
Same as above but no handlebar mounted travel adjust... $ 250

(3) Marzocchi All Mountain 3... 130mm
Features: External Air preload, One side air one side coil, SSV Constant fade Dampening system... $235

(4) Manitou Minute 1:00... 100-130mm
Features: Adjustments for Rebound, SPV Platform Pressure, SPV Volume, and RTWD Travel Adjust... $230

(5) 06 Rock Shox Tora 302... 130mm
Features Rebound adjust & special high tech Rock Shox Logo... $175

Input on these forks? Do any of them suck? Input on any of them would be great :)

I'm leaning toward #1 just because of all the features. But I have no prior experience with Manitou air forks. The Zoke All Mountain 3 sounds pretty nice too with the half air half spring deal, even the Minute sounds great... the tora had a badass price and seem to have everything I need, I just dont know anything about it.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Okay so manitou sucks... Personally I have to disagree a little. I have had good performance out of my black Elite for the last 3-4 years.

Still I am leaning toward the Marz AM III now that I have been reading reviews.

Anyone have anything constructive to say?

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I'm running a Minute 1 on my single speed. I usually run it on 100mm due to the frame geometry but have bumped it up to the max on some rougher downhill sections. The SPV works out great on terrain/trails I ride around here. It's a good all around fork.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, the Marzocchi halfair/halfcoil is the standard for MX Pro and a lot of their other forks. I think it is the best of both worlds, except that it weighs more but cost less than quality all-air forks.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Trainwreck said:
I'm running a Minute 1 on my single speed. I usually run it on 100mm due to the frame geometry but have bumped it up to the max on some rougher downhill sections. The SPV works out great on terrain/trails I ride around here. It's a good all around fork.
ditto.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
"(4) Manitou Minute 1:00... 100-130mm
Features: Adjustments for Rebound, SPV Platform Pressure, SPV Volume, and RTWD Travel Adjust... $230"

I have ran this fork since February. I really like it. Took about 25-30 miles to break in. It has been great so far and I have ridden the crap out of it. It's got about 600 miles on it at this point. I like the basic RTWD set up without the bar switch. It's effective and so far completely reliable. I've never bottomed it out. It's very effecient when climbing since it has very little bob once it is set up right.

edit: nevermind, I just saw you bought the AM3. I've heard great things about it. Let us know what you think.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Hasn't Marzoch had a problem with the thin fork brace between the forks cracking under heavy hit pressure due to it's too thin design to make the Marzochi "M" in the middle? I heard that when I bought my Manitou Xvert. I loved my Manitou for seven years. It's a dual crown though and I take it apart every year and clean it and change the oil. Manitou is one of the best I've heard but I guess that's a matter of opinion.

I'm saving for a Manitou Travis Intrinsic dual crown now. With a stiff kit of course...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Chunky Munkey said:
Hasn't Marzoch had a problem with the thin fork brace between the forks cracking under heavy hit pressure due to it's too thin design to make the Marzochi "M" in the middle? I heard that when I bought my Manitou Xvert. I loved my Manitou for seven years. It's a dual crown though and I take it apart every year and clean it and change the oil. Manitou is one of the best I've heard but I guess that's a matter of opinion.

I'm saving for a Manitou Travis Intrinsic dual crown now. With a stiff kit of course...
I think that was back in 03 or something... surely they fixed it? I havent heard anything about Zokes breaking lately. I'm pretty excited about the fork... I havent had a major upgrade in a while... I've done rims because of breakage, pedals, stems, seats, tires, derailers, etc. but I've been on the same basic bike for almost 4 years... this will be a fun change... I hope I like it.

Afterthought: I always thought that M design was stupid. Seriously make a solid design and forget the f'n logo. As much as I hate that kind of crap, this still seemed like it was the best fork and the best match for my rig for the money.