Quantcast

Help me plan my road rip

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Right then guys, I need some help with planning an epic USA road trip. It might not all be DH worthy stuff but I am a downhiller at heart so if I'm passing by any places it'd be a shame to miss them out.
My girlfriend and I will be in Whistler and are planning on leaving on the 11th of October. We don't need to be in LA until the 4th of November and will have a sizable motorhome. So we have 3 1/2 weeks to travel. I have a basic route worked out in my head but I have never been to the USA before so don't really know if I am missing out on anything. I'll give you my basic plans, if you have any tips/ideas of where I should head for then I'd be glad to hear them.

We are planning on heading down the west coast to San Francisco. We get the motorhome in Bellingham and have no specific plans between the two places. From there we would like to spend a few days in Yosimite national park. I assume you can't ride here but we want to see it anyway. I have noticed that Northstar isn't that far from there too.
Next we are planning on looping inland towards Utah with riding at Moab, there must be something unmissable between these two places.
Next we are going to loop back towards LA via the grand canyon/Las Vegas/Death Vally. I don't have any riding spots planned for this part yet.

So guys hit me with your thoughts.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
When you come into Bellingham, take an afternoon and ride Galbraith Mountain. Its becoming one of the best places to ride in the NW corner of the USA. Its real easy to find, pretty much all the LBS have maps and there is always people there to show you around if you want.

Any lift access like Northstar and mammoth will most likely be closed by october but really good riding to be had in southern utah and Vegas has some sweet DH called BootlegCanyon.
That time of year is great for riding Vegas, Moab(utah),Fruita(co)

Have fun RVTom:thumb:

Don't start threads after your trip about how american beer sucks ok?

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Downieville. You can't drive by Dville and pass it up. It's just an hour away from N*

And if you're in Sf there are a lot of good trails close by. A trip to Santa Cruz would be good as well and only 90 minute south of SF.