Quantcast

Help me spec my bike

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well if White Bros is a sponser I will get the price my shop has to pay for it direct. I'm starting to wonder how great this thing is going to be now the guy wants to start making Ti seatposts and bars and i'll have to use them:(

gk02

Chimp
Apr 24, 2002
I have had some cane creek team ti wheels for the last season and a half. They are probably the most underrated wheels around. I have basically just used them as racing wheels but they really are sweet. I would pick them over a set of crossmax's anyday. 2 of my roomates rode on crossmax's and both agreed that they thought the cane creeks were a nicer set of wheels because they just were perfect wheels for the whole time. While they were having hub troubles or something with their crossmax's I never had one problem with my wheels. Never even had them trued once. The other great thing about cane creek is their customer service. If you have a problem with mavic's, good luck seeing them anytime soon. I have no relation with cane creek and are not even sponsored by them, i just happened to pick this wheel set up for a real good price and gave it a chance and glad i did. So that being said, i would definetely get the cane creeks over the shimanos and then run an xt rotor and use the xtr disks. Plus they look sweet.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
What do you guys mean XTR has a bad chain line? More like a bad mechanic. XTR bb's come with a bunch of spacers that you use on one side or the other to adjust the chain line. If your mechanic can't figure it out, you need a new mechanic. If you cannot get a good chainline even with all the spacers provided, then the spec of the frame is probably not compatible with the XTR bb.

And XTR cassette work just fine. Mine is still working well after 6 months and 3 chains. It will likely go for the rest of the winter too which makes it about as durable as XT from my experience. But I do agree that XTR should only be for those wanting the ultimate lightweight for racing. XT cassettes are essentially the same thing with all steel cogs. Minor weight penalty and it is as JMAC astutely pointed out, at the centre of the rotation not at the rim where it is more of an affect.

And I think maybe some of you guys need to know bike parts in Canada where JMAC and I live cost W A Y more than in the USA. XT cassettes are around $100 and XTR are about $200. The XTR brake lever/shifter for the hydraulic brakes are $800 per pair. I happened to get a skookum pro deal through my shop on a full 03 XTR group which is why I have it. Although I only dable at racing now, I influence a lot of my riding buddies and others plus the shop values my "testing" and opinions. Over the past three or four years I have sold a lot of product for my shop which to the shop is far more important that winning a podunk race and standing on the podium in front of a bunch of other sponsored racers. The reason I mention that is I sense an undercurrent of the racer not wanting what the sponsor will supply for free or discount. I think its really important to remeber, if you are fortunate enough to have a sponsor, is to always think about what you can do for your sponsor. Never ask what the sponsor will do for me. That can be a quick way to pay your own way. I met JMAC this summer and although he was injured and we didn't ride, I sense that he could go somewhere with this sport and I want to offer what ever tips I can to help him. I learned a lot from a few riders I worked with and road with who were national caliber. I never could hold a candle to them but I always wonder what if. What if I had started racing when I was 18 rather than way later. Good luck JMAC.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Thanks Oldfart next summer we'll go riding I hope.
I'm just so happy right now cause I think my knee is better it hasn't bothered me in days. But i don't want to jinx myself by saying that.:devil: