Quantcast

Help me to build a xc bike

karjim

Chimp
May 19, 2009
I am planing to build an xc bike here is mmy build kit and what do you think about it
-chumba vf2 frame with carbon chainstays and seat stays
-marzocchi 44 ata micro fork
-chris king no thredset
-alex XD-lite rims
-chumba mx5 hubs
-formula R1 brakes
-fsa OS-99 stem
-race face next sl 3/4 rise handlebar
-race face deus crankset
-shimano xt cassete
-sram xo grip shift
-thomsom elite seat post
-larsen tt tubles tires
-sram xo or x9 rear gear
-rav x race x saddle

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The bits are only as good as the frame and vise versa; what frame are you building? What performance expectation do you have? What is your skill level? How long do you tend to keeps bikes?

I see a lot of needless expense that might be better directed towards an awesome frame.

I'm personally not of fan of teh grip shift.

Edit - I missed the frame... DOH!

karjim

Chimp
May 19, 2009
so my skill level I think is intermediate I race downhill and I want to have a bike that can be fast up hill and downhill and light weight also I am training with my road bike. I want this bike for xc and some am

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Better wheels. You're spending a buttload on brakes, headset, etc but skimping there. You don't need I9s, just something like Hope Pro IIs on Stan's 355s would be a huge step up. If you need to save some money elsewhere to make up for that, any old Cane Creek headset will be all you need, and XT brakes will be awesome. No need for an X.0 derailleur either.

I'm also not a big fan of Marzocchi's TST damping. Basically they gave it a fancy adjustable platform over making it work properly most of the time. A F100 or (dare I say it?) a Manitou R9 Super would be a better choice IMO.

karjim

Chimp
May 19, 2009
I will change the wheelset but the fork no because I have totaled 1 travis 1 splice and one nixon so manitou isn't well for me and in my country there's no service center for manitou

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Get a Fox or RS, don't F around w/ Marzocchi and their terrible quality.

Don't get a King, too expensive. FSA or Cane Creek FTW.

Get X9 shifting, just as good as X0. Seriously, you get the same thing w/o the "bling." Or Shimano XT, stuff's solid.

Get Juicy 7s on a budget, or XT brakes. Either one works well.

Shimano SLX or XT cranks can't be beat, their interface is the best out there.

My .02

Last edited: