Quantcast

help me understand design...

tag187

Chimp
Sep 4, 2009
Ok so I used to ride BMX like 12 years ago, got out of it and just did the life thing, now I am have started riding XC but have also found a real interest in Dirt Jumping. I live in Houston TX and there are no trails worth **** here and I would love to build a nice spot. I have been reading like crazy on every piece of web info I find (here, Pinkbike, IMBA, dirt-jumping, etc.) and am getting a basic idea and view of differnt jumps and the basics but I had those as a kid. So what I am looking for is info on making trail lines flow, designs of things like rollers, doubles, tripples, their spacing, height, lip design. Any info is greatly appreciated. I have a spot to build on (20 acres) just looking for all the info I can get. Thanks guys.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
what kind of stuff did you used to ride 12 years ago ? bmx track or skatepark ?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
ALMOST ALL of trail making is trial and error, or from what I have experienced. I am sure these guys on that video didn't just build a jump and had it set perfect.

Sometimes the lip is too steep, sometimes it is too slack, sometimes your going to fast into the jump for the gap. In my opinion a really well built dirt jump set doesn't really require brakes.

Your just going to have to go out and learn. That's all you can do, we don't know how how downhill, uphill, or flat your land is, so we can't say "ummm, every jump should be 3 bike lengths apart". It's kind of something you just have to go out and do. And remember, the more hands the easier.

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
ALMOST ALL of trail making is trial and error, or from what I have experienced. I am sure these guys on that video didn't just build a jump and had it set perfect.

Sometimes the lip is too steep, sometimes it is too slack, sometimes your going to fast into the jump for the gap. In my opinion a really well built dirt jump set doesn't really require brakes.
couldnt have put it any better

I would recomend starting building the roll in first, when I starting building my trails I had no idea what I was doing and we just built a mid-pack sized double and hip before we even thought about a roll in, so now we have to throw in a couple cranks until winter when we can fix shiit

because trails are not reeaally trails if you have to pedal

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
CMC put down some great ideas to start with, I would just add to think turns and hips as well, straight jumps get old quick unless they are huge. . .

tag187

Chimp
Sep 4, 2009
I used to ride track and around the street stuff, rode for like 3 yrs then just moved on. That was kinda what I was figuring just trial and error but thanks for the insight given. It will be put to good use. As far as my land goes it is flat and has some low areas, so drainage is on of my biggest concerns, as is reinforcing my trail lines.