Quantcast

Help me understand digressive rebound

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Looking at a shock with a digressive rebound stack. Why would I want or not want this? Shock would go on a trail bike with 2.8-2.35 relatively progressive curve that flattens at the end.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
first you're going to have to describe what digressive means

and then point me to this product so I can laugh at it

(you don't want it, unless you're talking a really flat curve at the end of travel and not an airshock)

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
How do you do a digressive stack? Is that so rebound speed remains constant as the spring force drops off on the return?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The rebound shim stack is preloaded.
It will be stiffer initially at low forces, then "softer" (relatively) ay higher forces.

Some claim it's good for "pop", and it is often used in XC tunes.

Not a fan.

View attachment 202458
which is exactly what already happens with every other shim stack since they're inherently speed sensitive.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
How do you do a digressive stack? Is that so rebound speed remains constant as the spring force drops off on the return?
It would be the opposite, rebound speed would be slower as spring force drops.

which is exactly what already happens with every other shim stack since they're inherently speed sensitive.

Yes, but look at the pretty colored lines.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No, not true at all.
okay, every rebound stack is preloaded :D

I know, not like a base valve or most midvalves with float but there's really not that much difference. Forcing the return port is avoiding rebound damping, not using it. No ground irregularities are that regular in mtb. I could see it in SX whoops but not much else.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
In all seriousness, anybody remember the first gen dhx2s and why they sucked so bad? Extremely low amounts of high speed rebound damping. I actually got steve at vorsprung to put a ginormous preload spacer in one that essentially locked it out (not the same as preloaded because it didn't move). That was a velocity problem, this is a force one, but the effect is similar. If you really want to get bucked off a progressive suspension design (which you should be riding on) this is the way to go.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I have a pair of '23 Super Deluxe air shocks - one has the stock/generic light compression / linear rebound tune, and one has an OEM tune for a Specialized SJ Evo with progressive rebound / light compression. The way it was explained to me was the progressive rebound is more open/faster on the smaller/faster compressions, and slower/more closed on bigger/faster compressions.

On the bike with the PR tune, it does seem to be a bit quicker on little chatter, and I don't have to run it as far open to create a good feel. But it's a bit harder for me to wrap my head around the rebound feel when tuning compared to the linear rebound tuned shock.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sometimes the preload is used to keep the valve closed and prevent float. This tends to make it react better to direction changes, but then RS takes it too far and the damn thing basically never even opens. Or Fox ****s up the rebound flow with a piston that can't flow high speed enough (Bomber CR), etc.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
mmmm ok. Patient is a fox DPX2:
Description: 2018, FLOAT DPX2, P-Se, A, 3pos-Adj Evol LV, Pivot, Shuttle, 7.875, 2.0, 0.6 Spacer, CM, DRM, Rezi A F M, No Logo

"DRM" means digressive rebound, medium, as I understand it.

This is the patient, though the last 15mm or so are lopped off due to a short stroke on the shock

I think this is the bike the shock came off of:

It looks like it should work, although I may need additional air can spacers. I mostly want to know if it will work and if it will work well. I realized I don't really know what a digressive rebound tune actually means out on the trail, so I'm asking you homeboys.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Rockshox used to be a big fan of digressive rebound stacks, as shown by their 'rapid recovery' marketing. It went so far as shown here by SteveM that some rebound stacks were so preloaded, they basically never opened.
When you compare a digressive rebound stack with a linear one, and tune them for parking-lot-feel, It will end up being overdamped on midsized impacts (roots), while underdamped on big hits and compressions. The argument can be made that it will feel more 'stable' over pumpy trails, while allowing fast rebound on big holes.
I recently went from an XC bike with Monarch (with rapid recovery) to a bike with a Deluxe (similar pistons, more linear rebound), and it feels a lot more poppy over jumps, and more predictable on rough terrain, but for each their own.

I think the change in frame leverage ratio will have a bigger impact in feel than the way they achieved their rebound damping. You are going from a shock damped for a rate of ~2.6 to a 2.35. If you are on the heavier side, and have to ride high pressure, this might actually be benefitial.