Quantcast

Help me understand HSC and LSC on my TALAS 36 - please!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I asked this question a while back on some of the more technical threads relating on HSC and LSC on the DH forum and got no answer... so I thought I'd reiterate this here since it's for my trail bike.

I'm still fiddling around with setting up my 36 TALAS since I had an RC2 cartridge installed. I had the cart installed because I wanted a more supple ride, and wanted to be able to dial out brake dive. But I think I might be skewed in my understanding of how the LSC and HSC circuits work.

This is what I think I know:
HSC and LSC are two seperate compression circuits. Dialling in the LSC will somehow modify the circuit (maybe by applying preload to a shim in a stack?) to resist a low frequency compression force. The more clicks you add, the more compression the circuit exhibits.

Once a force is large and fast enough, the fluid will bypass the LSC and move into the HSC. Adjusting the HSC knobs will not actually change the characteristics of the HSC circuit, but rather change the point at which the fluid moves from the LSC to HSC cicuit (or the shaft speed that is required to move from LSC to HSC).

Am I correct in this understanding?

Caus' basically right now if I set my fork to approx. 25% sag, I have 55 psi. I have 6 or 7 clicks of LSC and I'm not sure off hand how many clicks of HSC. Basically I find that the spring is too soft this way. I blow through all my travel far to frequently (6-7 times a ride). So right now I'm thinking of upping the PSI in the air spring and backing off the LSC entirely (except maybe for 1-2 clicks) and seeing at what pressure I cease to bottom out so regularly. But I have no idea what to do with the HSC.

I've basically given up on having a plush TALAS, I understand now that all those seals add up to a heckuvalotta stiction. My next fork will not have travel adjust.

Oh, this is a 2009 36 TALAS R in which I had a RC2 cartridge installed last year. It's on a 2005 Specialized Enduro, with a straight-from-PUSH RT3 in the back. I use it for xc in Quebec, but I'm a heavier rider at 210lbs.

Last edited:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You should bottom out regularly. You shouldn't bottom out harshly with regularity. I think have the understanding correct. To lessen the harshness of bottom out, if that's what you want to do dial up the high speed compression. 25% sag is a little "stiff" for a 36 I think. I would set it at 30% or so. I had a 36 non talas ages ago and I think I ran mine at 50 psi to 55 psi and I am way lighter at 145 pounds with gear. I am thinking your psi is low. Might be you shock pump but the best way is to simply measure the sag with you on the bike to get the psi your pump says is correct for the sag you want. The Fox site has a good video to show how to set sag. Plus set up tips.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is what I think I know:
HSC and LSC are two seperate compression circuits. Dialling in the LSC will somehow modify the circuit (maybe by applying preload to a shim in a stack?) to resist a low frequency compression force. The more clicks you add, the more compression the circuit exhibits.

Once a force is large and fast enough, the fluid will bypass the LSC and move into the HSC. Adjusting the HSC knobs will not actually change the characteristics of the HSC circuit, but rather change the point at which the fluid moves from the LSC to HSC cicuit (or the shaft speed that is required to move from LSC to HSC).

Am I correct in this understanding?
fundamentally yes. LSC adjustment is basically a pin that will adjust the effective diameter of the circuit, in turn determining how much oil can flow through it.

HSC is the spring preload adjuster that determines at which point it breaks open (and in turn adjust the amount of force needed to open your high speed circuit).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You should bottom out regularly. You shouldn't bottom out harshly with regularity.
eh the jury is still out on this. My thought's are you should come close to bottoming out regularly, actually bottom out occaisionally, and bottom harshly rarely. In practice though, it's really hard to control. You definitely want to get the most out of your travel which does mean bottoming from time to time.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I've been playing with the same scenario on my 180 TALAS RC2 lately. I've settled on 60psi for my 170lbs. My LSC is about 2/3rds max and HSC is 1/3-1/2 max. I barely bottom it on the hardest hits I take, like once a month. After most real DH runs I can see that I used 90% travel but there's plenty of trails that use less than 80%. It feels reasonably plush on fast roots and rocks yet controlled when diving into berms or braking.