Quantcast

Help me wrap my head around offset bushings

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've got a set of offset bushings on order, and trying to wrap my head around which way to orient them to slacken/steepen the angles. On their website FAQ, they show both bushings set so the eye to eye is reduced as being slacker/lower. https://www.offsetbushings.com/pages/how-they-work (I know they don't recommend/support using them in "reverse" to steepen angles, but I know people here have done that without issue as long as the shock doesn't rotate much, and you keep an eye on them.)

So if you orient both outwards, that should steepen things? And if you do just one bushing with the holes inward/outward, that should do half the change?

When I try to visualize it, it seems to me that if you put the hole further away from the shock, it would make the front triangle sink closer to the rear end, getting slacker. And if you made the hole closer to the shock, it should push the front triangle away. Why is this incorrect?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
They will always migrate to the shortest i2i. If you want a longer i2i then you need to have a custom shock eyelet machined. I haven’t found another way that can handle abuse. Taller fork a2c with a spacer from reverse components and a steeper head set would be easier than a longer eyelet. What bike are you tweaking?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wait till you find out the bushings are actually not offset. Mind will be blown!