Quantcast

Help!! Need Bend [Oregon] trail info.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
I'm headed to Bend this weekend and am trying to throw together an epic ride with fun terrain and great views.
Problem is, I don't know the area at all, or the trail conditions [snow, etc..], or where to find out about such things. Newberry Crater, MRT, and SmithRock have already been done so I'm looking for something different. 20+ miles would be prefered. I've tried the COTA site but it's not too specific. If anyone has a suggestion for a trail, or what bike shop I need to hit up for maps n such - please share your knoweldge. :thumb:
Thanks,
BuddhaRoadkill

[I was thinking Deschutes but the MTBR site made it sound boring - anyone here have an opinion?]

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Deschutes River Trail is probably the best around - but it gets a lot of foot traffic on the weekend so I don't go out there too much. The trails West of town are generally snow free for many miles so you could do enough loops to get 20 in without worrying about snow.

My favorite all-around trail is Mrazek - it's windy but not very rocky at all. Still - worth checking out. KGB in the Phils network is about as technical as trails get around here. I'd suggest stopping by Webcyclery (check to see if they are open Saturdays now) and get a local map and some recommendations.

If you are looking for something unique - trail conditions at Horse Butte east of town may still be OK. I am going out there this evening and I'll check it out. This is generally a winter only trail because it gets sandy - but we've had some rain lately. Horse Butte isn't for everyone - its out in the desert and you'd have to do a couple loops to get 20 in - but I love it out there.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Thanks for the Tips.

Arghh ... internet biking is more difficult than one would think. I found a Map but still not much of a clue on direction [or passability]. Doing a Mrazek with an out-n-back on the NorthFork, and grabbing Skyliner to bring us back into the Phils World - Whoopdee et al. sounds like a good time.

But so does the DRT with a little StormKing and COD. :p

I am sooo :confused: - way to many choices ya'll got over there. :drool: Gonna have to call a shop for sure. You wouldnt happen to have a digital topo with the trails would ya? ;)

Thanks again for the insight - how was Horse Butte?