Quantcast

Help on Build Kit

baycat

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
After riding my AS-X for a bit, I sold it to my friend so I could get a SC Nomad. I ordered the frame via speedgoat and got a Medium Black Powdercoat with a 5th Element Gravity. I have been slowly been piecing together my build kit to put on the bike.​

Having never used SRAM, I thought why not try it out. So below is a partial list of components I have for my build. I am missing some parts, designated by ? and would like anyones input as this is new to me, as will be building a bike from the ground up!​

Most importantly I need advice on what kind of fork to throw on, I was thinking either the Talas or Van 36. Leaning towards the Van 36 because it is a bit cheaper, but dont know why else. My style of riding is agressive XC, so I plain to use this bike and make it light. Never really do drops...​

Rear Der.: SRAM ESP X.9 Rear Derailleur
Front Der.: ?
Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger 9-Speed Shifters
Crankset: ?
BB: ?
Casette: SRAM PG-950 9-Speed Cassette
Chain: SRAM PC99 Hollow Pin 9-Speed Chain
BRAKES Avid Juicy 7's w/ 6" rotors
Bars: ?
Stem: ?
Headset: Cane Creek S2
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax XL Disc or better to get the Enduro or Crossland?
Tires: ?
Rear Shock: 5th Element Gravity
Fork: ???

Thanks for the help!
:thumb:

Aug 17, 2004
Va Beach
Front Der- Sram makes the Gen-X front der now and it's pretty sweet.
Tires- I have loved nothing but Ritchey for a long time. Best cornering tires ever.
Bars- Easton makes the CMT bars. They are carbon, strong as **** and light.
Stem- Stems are about the same. Some are lighter, some are beefier.
Cranks- Riding aggressive I'd stick with aluminum cranks, no carbon. That's just one area I don't trust carbon yet. I'd recommend one with a external BB.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Front Der- XTR, it's cheap and light
Tires- Depends on the terrain - tires are a very personal choice. I happen to like Conti Verticals, but my next tire will probably be sticky.
Bars- Easton carbon
Stem- Thompson
Cranks- Depends on your weight... I like FSA cranks, something with an external BB. Whatever you can afford.
Fork- if you do any climbing, make sure it has travel adjustment. Marz All-Mountain would probably be my pick. Only slightly heavier than a talas, but the travel adjustment is MUCH easier to work, and the Marz has the option for more travel.

Rear Der.: SRAM ESP X.9 Rear Derailleur
Front Der.: XTR (becuase SRAM doesn't make one)
Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger 9-Speed Shifters
Crankset: XT (Light and strong)
BB: XT (they have great reviews, I personally haven't used one)
Casette: SRAM PG-950 9-Speed Cassette
Chain: SRAM PC99 Hollow Pin 9-Speed Chain
BRAKES Avid Juicy 7's w/ 6" rotors
Bars: Easton Monkeylites of course
Stem: Thomson of course
Headset: Cane Creek S2 (Why not King?)
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax XL Disc or better to get the Enduro or Crossland?
Tires: I use IRC trailbears an love them
Rear Shock: 5th Element Gravity
Fork: Pike dual Air or Pike Team sprung(U-turn travel adjust for climbing) I climb all day with my dual air with no probs though.

baycat

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Someone mentioned on MTBR, that VPP bikes are not compatible with SRAM Front Der. because they use a top-swing?

ps Thanks for all the input

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
I would choose the xt cranks, best weight to strength. Fox rc36 talas becasue of weight slash performance, easton cnt bars thomson stem,xtr front derailleur, and Michelins or WTB tires depending on where you live. WTB race tires if it's not too sharp and rocky Michelins if it is because they have better side walls and softer compound.