Quantcast

Help out a diablo regular

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah but you don't want the idiots to overcrowd the ambulance when you need it ;) It's this kind of thinking that made us pay much more for the health care than you get ;) We forbid ppl to be stupid here therefore on avg. they are though Poland wants to be too much like the us so it may soon change.
I get your point, but we're in the situation we are now (having to create laws enforcing common sense safety, basically protecting people from the their own stupidity) because we started doing so in the first place. By letting natural selection take its course (and thereby weeding out the weakest members of the herd, so to speak) we wouldn't have to create these laws. Am I saying go out and execute people who do foolish things that are unsafe? Absolutely not! I just don't think we should interfere with them trying to remove themselves from the gene pool.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Because laws shouldn't try to replace common sense. Most people choose to wear a helmet; we (should) only stoop to legislation when people just don't, or won't, use common sense.

The vast Majority of people wear helmets most of the time when riding IME

Panda

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
Louisiana
Well it is. It's called "taking responsibility for your own actions". Its kind of an endangered species here in the US.

Because it interferes with natural selection.
I agree. If it doesn't affect anyone else it should be up to each individual when what and where they do with their life. If someone wants to be a dumba$$ then let them be a dumba$$.They should have the freedom to decide on their own

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I get your point, but we're in the situation we are now (having to create laws enforcing common sense saftey, basically protecting people from the their own stupidity) because we started doing so in the first place. By letting natural selection take its course (and thereby weeding out the weakest members of the herd, so to speak) we wouldn't have to create these laws. Am I saying go out and execute people who do foolish things that are unsafe? Absolutely not! I just don't think we should interfere with them trying to remove themselves from the gene pool.
YES!

There is a little thing in this world called judgement, within oneself, used in tandem with reason....; If Im rolling to the store for some chips tame-style, I don't need some overburdened cop who already has too much to do wasting his and my time (and yours) punishing me for my failure to comply literally with the law. I don't wear a helmet when I walk to the store, where I'm at least as likely of getting hurt somehow. (I've never been hit by a car on my bike while standing in the middle of the sidewalk. On foot, I have!)

If I'm dumb enough to ride 'for real' sans helmet, thats on me.

I hope this convo can steer clear of the indirects (You get hurt, no insurance for you, or we're all paying for it... blah blah blah) which ignore fundamental economics in favor of blind idealism.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I get your point, but we're in the situation we are now (having to create laws enforcing common sense safety, basically protecting people from the their own stupidity) because we started doing so in the first place. By letting natural selection take its course (and thereby weeding out the weakest members of the herd, so to speak) we wouldn't have to create these laws. Am I saying go out and execute people who do foolish things that are unsafe? Absolutely not! I just don't think we should interfere with them trying to remove themselves from the gene pool.
Yes but what about hot stupid female people? They sure have their place ;)

Also the idiots usualy have more children anyway so natural selection doesn't work on them ;)

As for on snow helmets - it really delays help for other people. In most resorts there is 1-2 helis - an idiots hurts himself because he has no helmet and you have to wait more. Not good for me. I'm not really patient when waiting with a broken arm because someone before me stuck his head in a pickle jar. Unless you count on this legislative anarchy to work as a stupid holocaust it won't work in any way ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i know! its an ever shrinking window of opportunity. I feel like I'm in the movie Idiocracy. Where's my Brawndo?!
I think we both think about the same movie but from 2 different views. Also don't you think it kinda ended stupid because the laws allowed people to be stupid? ;)

btw. you "talk kinda gay" ;)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
i know! its an ever shrinking window of opportunity. I feel like I'm in the movie Idiocracy. Where's my Brawndo?!
Finally saw Idiocracy over the weekend. Pretty good movie with an interesting point.

Unfortunately for some reason I can't stand Luke Wilson. That guy bothers me and his AT&T commercials are just plain annoying.

On the topic of helmets:

I enjoy cruising around the hill during the spring without a helmet (you wont catch me in the park or shreddin the gnar like that). I don't really feel like having someone tell me that I can't.

Sorry, if I wanna be "retarded" and take a leisurely day of chillin in the sun without a helmet then that should be my call.

To keep it in perspective I am sure it is way more dangerous and "retarded" to be hucking my meat off the cliffs in Mainline Pocket or dropping in on lines in the Light Towers (where CR died) with a helmet.

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
How many of you non-helmet people ride at mountain creek/ southpeak in jersey?

Have you ever seen a good friend fall into a coma in front of you? Im not trying to be dramatic but no one should have to see that ever.
I've ridden there, and much more challenging hills for that matter. Sometimes you need a helmet, sometimes you don't. Harping for over-legislation is just your lame ass way to point a finger when you feel helpless. If you want to blame someone, blame your friend instead the legal system. I'm sorry you had to go through that. It's scary as hell to watch a friend in such a state, but your efforts are misguided. I'm willing to bet he wasn't just riding along.

Blah blah, the retards are more retarded now...
There are bound to be some stragglers, but just think how many dumbasses DID die. I know that's a cold and terrible thing to say, but a family man riding around on a motorcycle without so much as a brain bucket is a terribly stupid thing.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Not down. Wearing a helmet should be a personal decision (I always wear a helmet skiing and always wear a helmet and Leatt riding). I agree that sometimes its stupid not to wear one but if someone doesn't want to who cares, its their brain after all. Seatbelt laws are the same way IMO, the gubment won't make you wear a helmet whilst going 75mph down the freeway on a 150+hp bike in shorts flip-flops and no shirt (in some states any way), but you can't drive your car to the store to get milk without putting your seat belt on. Makes no sense.

A lot of people would simply buy the cheapest helmet they could find any way which probably doesn't offer much more protection than a beanie, or your sweet dreads brah.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not down. Wearing a helmet should be a personal decision (I always wear a helmet skiing and always wear a helmet and Leatt riding). I agree that sometimes its stupid not to wear one but if someone doesn't want to who cares, its their brain after all. Seatbelt laws are the same way IMO, the gubment won't make you wear a helmet whilst going 75mph down the freeway on a 150+hp bike in shorts flip-flops and no shirt (in some states any way), but you can't drive your car to the store to get milk without putting your seat belt on. Makes no sense.

A lot of people would simply buy the cheapest helmet they could find any way which probably doesn't offer much more protection than a beanie, or your sweet dreads brah.
i was waiting for someone to mention squids.

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
You guys are definitely right. Choices are to be made. I guess i'm just reacting to a f up situation. The more i think about it, it cant be enforced and why the hell should i care anyway.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
In 5 years there will be the same debate about leatt braces.
Why everybody gets so paranoid? Full body armor law exists only in France if I'm right and I'm yet to see it spread.

Also we talk about snowboard/ski here, not bikes - ie. a lot of stupid (sometimes drunk) people, very often with little skills on sliding a piece of wood (now also other materials) in very large numbers. Even if you are smart - others are not and resorts can get insanely crowded. Stop mixing up different situations.

The next thing you will say we tell you to wear helmet to work in an office...