Quantcast

Help out an Aussie freerider...

bikesarefun

Chimp
Jun 7, 2007
I'm going to be in DC for work for a big chunk of June/July. If I bring the demo 9 along, is anyone interested in showing me some trails? Anywhere within a few hours drive of there sounds good.

I'm already lugging the bike halfway across the world for another leg of the trip (Whistler... sweet!), and can't decide whether it should come along to DC or not.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
White Tail ski mountain might be the closest to DC, but I'm not sure it they run the lift. Snow shoe is somewhere out there and Wisp.

Unfortunately I'm near Philadelphia, where we have some cool shuttle mountains (Reading, Spring Mount, French Creek State Park), but I'm not sure if it's worth the 3-4hr drive. You are more than welcome to contact me if you're interested.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
drop a line when you're in town. we've got some fun trails about an hour north in frederick MD. not much elevation, but crazy steep/tech/fun.

dcrides

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Deffinitley some good trails up in Frederick. In addition to Snowshoe you also have Diablo up in New Jersey which is about the same distance.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Definitely bring the bike to DC if no add'l cost to you.

We've got some vegemite and bit of gnarl for ya. DC is about as flat as Florida so have to drive a bit. When are you going to Whistler? I and few other locals are heading out to BC in August, and riding with a Kiwi mate of mine from Korea days. I'll be out there the entire month, only for riding.

Downhill/freeride:

1. Frederick, MD (1 hr, shuttle, male and female sides of the mtn, local knowledge only)
2. Diablo resort (4.5 hrs, 900' vert, very fast gondolas)
3. Snowshoe resort (4.5 hrs, 500' vert on one side, 1200' on the other but have to ride bus not chairlift)
4. WISP resort (3 hrs, low vert, excruciatingly slow lift)
5. Wintergreen resort (3 hrs, low vert)
6. Plattekill (6 hrs, 1100' vert)
7. Whiteface (8 hrs, 2400' vert)
8. Bromont (11 hours, 1100' vert but excellent trail quality)

Trail:

Elizabeth Furnace (1.5 hours, 1500'vert, self-propelled, probably a bit much undulation for Demo 9 but depends on what you like to ride)