Quantcast

Help out Whiteface Mountain local riders [UPDATE]

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Letter from the man:

Thank you for your interest and support for Mountain Biking at Whiteface Mountain. In response to your recent inquiry the Olympic Regional Development Authority/Whiteface Mountain is very pleased to announce that it has partnered with High Peaks Cyclery of Lake Placid to provide a lift serviced Mountain Bike operation on Saturdays and Sundays through the summer/fall season of 2005. Non-lift serviced trail access will be available daily.

The Cloudsplitter Gondola and an on mountain shuttle bus system will be used to transport Mt. Bikers from June 25 - October 9.

Rentals, lessons and activities such as fun filled obstacle courses will be offered.

As a reminder the ORDA Verizon Sports Complex will also be providing a seven-day per week Mt. Bike Operation.

Hope to see you at Whiteface for some Mountain Biking this season.

Thank you.

Jay Rand
General Manager
Whiteface Mountain

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
please also contact ted blazer he is the president and ceo of the state agency that runs the olympic venues,and the other guy's boss.

blazer@orda.org phone 518-523-1655 just in case you have extra minutes on your cell phone this would be a great way to use them.

please send ted an e-mail

thanks downhill mike

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
stream crossings,waterfalls,deer,wild turkeys,tons of vertical,tight singletrack with tons of switchbacks,long runs,nearby hospital,cool town,koa camping across the street,tons of hotels and restaurants nearby,hospitable locals,gondola that fits 3 riders and their bikes inside,4 bike shops,bars,lots of mnt.bike chicks,beautiful fall conditions[last year was unbelievable for like a month 75 sunny dry and peak colors,wow].

so let's save our sport S.O.S.

if we can change things here it could set a precedent for others to follow.

thanks again
downhill mike

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Anyone know the reason for shutting it down? For instance the big trigger at Snow Summit was the accident and lawsuit. Other places close just due to biking not bringing in enough money. Knowing this information would really help as far as knowing who to contact and what to say.

svenge070

Chimp
Mar 9, 2005
I hope you dont mind, but I have some buddies who ride these trails that are being threatened to be closed. I currently live in the south and I have posted the petition on the SORBA.org website. I hope for everyone sake that these trails can stay open. Any thing else needed, please feel free to PM me.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
Sweet. I'm originally from Star Lake (like 60 miles from Whiteface) and went to school in Potsdam. I skipped many a Friday Spanish class to ski Whiteface when I was in college and love the hill. DH wasn't happening so much up there in the early/mid 90's, but I know it could be awesome. I'm looking forward to a trip back there this summer to check it out.

JF

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Ridemonkey said:
Letter from the man:

Thank you for your interest and support for Mountain Biking at Whiteface Mountain. In response to your recent inquiry the Olympic Regional Development Authority/Whiteface Mountain is very pleased to announce that it has partnered with High Peaks Cyclery of Lake Placid to provide a lift serviced Mountain Bike operation on Saturdays and Sundays through the summer/fall season of 2005. Non-lift serviced trail access will be available daily.

The Cloudsplitter Gondola and an on mountain shuttle bus system will be used to transport Mt. Bikers from June 25 - October 9.

Rentals, lessons and activities such as fun filled obstacle courses will be offered.

As a reminder the ORDA Verizon Sports Complex will also be providing a seven-day per week Mt. Bike Operation.

Hope to see you at Whiteface for some Mountain Biking this season.

Thank you.

Jay Rand
General Manager
Whiteface Mountain

Mountain Biking returns to Whiteface and Verizon Sports Complex

Lake Placid venues ready to open for the season

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. – The New York Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) and High Peaks Cyclery in Lake Placid are once again partnering to present the sport of mountain biking at Whiteface in Wilmington and the Verizon Sports Complex in Lake Placid.

Activity at Whiteface begins Friday June 24, with mountain biking from 9 AM to

4 PM Friday to Monday through Oct. 10. Opening day at the Verizon Sports Complex is set for Saturday, June 25. The seven-day-a-week operation runs from 10 AM to 5 PM daily through Sept. 5, and weekends from Sept. 9-Oct.9.

“It’s exciting to offer the most vertical drop in the east,” said Downhill Mike Scheur, Whiteface Director of the Mountain Bike Park. “It gives one the sense of the depth and breadth of the Whiteface experience.” The descent from the top of Little Whiteface is nearly 2,500 feet.

At Whiteface, riders will find an improved trail network, a new shuttle bus to the mid-station, gondola service to the summit of Little Whiteface, a new skills course with 10 stations on Mixing Bowl and clinics. Riders will also find single tracks between some of the ski trails used for the 1980 Winter Games. Adding to the ambiance, bikers can also expect cameo appearances from the four-legged “residents” who comprise the mountain’s natural habitat.

Whiteface will offer Customer Appreciation Day on Saturday, June 25. There will be a special $15 lift pass for all ages and will include the shuttle and gondola. Regular price is $25. There will also be a 50% reduction in the cost of rental bikes.

Hold on to your June 25-26 Whiteface lift tickets. Each day is good for a beverage of your choice at the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery.

Mountain biking is an idyllic experience over 30 miles of cross country ski trails at the Verizon Sports Complex on Rt. 73 outside Lake Placid.

Discover Cross Country Riding (daily), Kid’s Group Riding (Saturday and Sunday) and Fun, Not Fear (one and two day sessions) clinics and lessons are among the offerings, with special Wednesday evening mountain bike races and trail runs slated for July 13 and Aug. 17 at 6 PM.

For more information on ORDA venues and events and for web cams from five locations, please log on to www.whitefacelakeplacid.com.

To dial into the mountain biking scene at both locations, please log on to www.highpeaksma.com. Downhill Mike would be happy to engage you in cyber-chat. Just email him at downhillmike@highpeaksma.com.

-ORDA-

Freerider697

Monkey
Jun 16, 2005
Im going up there this weekend. Have a hous up there and going riding at white face mountain for the fourth of July week end. SKiing there is fun, so the biking will surly be a blast.