Quantcast

Help: Painting Gold Label Lowers

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I have the 08 "gold" lowers. Hate it. Want to paint it black. What sandpaper and paint should I use? Tips?

TIA

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
800 grit sandpaper. I did mine last summer, took me a long time, but I am so happy with my fork. I put one entire can of primer, and then one entire can of Krylon Gloss Black. Make sure you tape everything off with painters tape, each time you apply a coat. If you don't re-apply the tape, when it's dry and you pull the tape off, the paint will come too. It's really simple.

I also hacksawed off my front brake mount and filed it down, it look way better than stock.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
cool. i'm kinda slowly working on doing that to another gold label i picked up. i cut the mounts off, just need to file them down. i think i want to polish the lowers but thats a project. i'll need some tools for that.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
For durable results, you might want to sand the lowers then take them to an autobody shop that has a spray booth. Try to find a place that does a lot of taxis and limos and surely they'll be shooting black 2 stage. Ask the painter if he'll hit your fork legs for a few bucks more than a can of Krylon you'll have a bangin' finish.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
800 grit sandpaper. I did mine last summer, took me a long time, but I am so happy with my fork. I put one entire can of primer, and then one entire can of Krylon Gloss Black. Make sure you tape everything off with painters tape, each time you apply a coat. If you don't re-apply the tape, when it's dry and you pull the tape off, the paint will come too. It's really simple.

I also hacksawed off my front brake mount and filed it down, it look way better than stock.
Care to post a picture? I want to see it without the brake mount. I'm pretty interested in doing this.