Quantcast

:help: Please offer suggestions on a new bike?

hafa_adai

Chimp
Jun 20, 2002
AK
Hi all, this is my first post here, so any advise will be greatly appreciated.

As a brief history, I have only rode a few times; 50/50 paved/dirt trails. And each ride was about 3-5 hours. I have never own a mountain bike before, and have always rented them from a bike shop. So I consider myself as somewhat of a beginner.

I am beginning to dig the sport, and very interested in getting my own bike. I plan to try out all different types of riding: paved/dirt trail, xc, downhill, street, etc.

I have visited many local bike shops here in town, and test rode a couple. I have also been doing quite a bit of research on the net too. And based on all the information I have collected, as well as many advise from others, the first thing is to hunt down a good frame. Components later.

I want to get something decent, I prefer not to get into the entry level class. Whatever it is that I purchase, I plan to keep it for a while so that I can improve and master some technics.

To cut the long story short, I have only picked out a couple bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara, and Kona Stuff. Based on my research, I have heard great reviews and ratings about the above mentioned bikes.

I don't know what else I'm missing, so again, please feel free to offer any suggestions you have.

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

[edit] BTW, I'm also considering Giant Rainier. My profile is 5'11", 175lbs. (So is it 18" or 19" I'm after?)

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I would recommend that you go with the rainier. I hear that the Kona frame is pretty beefy and can take lots of hits, but the components that you get on a stuff just don't justify it. It has an alivio drivetrain. Alivio is pretty far down the Shimano food chain.

Acera -> Alivio -> Deore -> LX -> XT -> XTR

The kona aslo lacks disc brakes. It does have disc compatible hubs but that's an extra $150 that you can save by not having to buy the brakes.

The Rainier on the otherhand has a good mix of Deore/LX components. Rumor even has it that the new 2003 rainiers may have an xt rear derraileur. Rainier also has avid disc brakes, which I love and will not do without.

The Kona costs $100 more than the Rainier AND it has cheaper components. I can't quite explain it. Maybe the frame is worth all that extra money.

Sorry, I can't tell you anything about Gary Fisher bikes.