Quantcast

Help protect one of our best Mtn Biking areas!!!

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Help protect one of our best Mtn Biking areas!!!

Taconic Hereford Park (aka 909) is about to be logged again, if you have been there recently you will see the markings. Some of the best trails in the park will be destroyed. Logging was only done 2 years ago in the upper area of the park, and you can see the devastation that was left. If you go farther down into the woods you will see even more. There are large piles of full trees and logs scattered in the woods and the "bridges" that where build have basically destroyed the streams.

Take action now and write to the DEP to stop this destruction of one of the best parks in Dutchess County.

Write to

skfarm@gw.dec.state.ny.us (the office that manages 909)

lflands@gw.dec.state.ny.us (the division of state forests)

and go to http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/about/emailform.html to write to the Commissioner of the DEP directly.

Help us save our park!!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I just moved to Poughkeepsie and love to bike. Where is this park you're talking about? I've heard it mentioned, but don't know much about it. I'm fairly new to mountain biking. How difficult are the trails?

And, yes, all the overdevelopment down here sucks, though it's been nice to see some preservation efforts really take off. But, it's a great area for biking!

Beth

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Taconic-Hereford M.U.A.- fondly known as 909 to the locals. Nine hundred and nine acres of hilly four-by-four roads and single track that are seldom crowded. 909 is easy to get to, on Tyrell Road, just off the Taconic Parkway in Pleasant Valley, NY.

Taconic Parkway North (If you are south of Poughkeepsie) to Tyrell Road (skip the park entranc on the Taconic) Make a Right and follow to Trailhead and parking at end.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming you're from around the Dutchess county area? I'm having trouble finding places to ride this time of year. Any suggestions? Like I said, I'm fairly new at this, so any tips on places that aren't too extreme and death-defying?

Beth

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Not many places to ride now...to much snow...i live about an hour south now but I used to live in Poughkeepsie and I am there just about every weekend.

I usually lead a few group rides there in the spring...I'll make sure I post them here as well.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
thanks for the info. In terms of the 909, are there any groups taking action to preserve the area, or has anything been done so far? I'm in journalism and we're always looking for new stories.

Beth