Quantcast

HELP re: kid's commuter bike recommendations

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
It's N+1 time in the 406.

Oldest child got hit commuting home from school on her fat bike -- which was fairly well mangled though I can probably salvage the wheels set and brakes.

No major injuries besides a slight concussion and some bruises... Thank FSM and gymnastics tuck and roll instincts.

The college kid settled up $999 CASH re: replacement value but le fat bikes are all back ordered and my daughter would be happier / quicker commuting on a skinny tire bike and it'd be easier to lock up.

In this corner we have an entry level city bike from motobecane $ 500 (in turqoise blue)
1632674125144.png

Pros: disc brakes / cheap
Cons: 1x8 / cheap components

1632674158755.png

For $625 Motobecane is selling this Diamondback metric 1

1632674186497.png

Pros: 3x8, slightly better specs
Cons: Rim brakes
1632674230732.png

And for $750 Diamondback website has the metric 2 in stock with disc brakes

1632674251733.png

1632674278154.png

I poked around competitive cyclist and some other sites, but looks like supply chain management is still fubar.

I'm leaning towards Metric 2 because of disc brakes, daughter is a cheapskate like her dad so fine with motobecane but open to other suggestions too.

The craigslist used bike rabbithole wasn't overly productive re: skinny tires in small -- daughter is TINY -- and I should probably just grab one of these 3 bikes since they're actually "in stock" though I haven't done any brick and mortar shopping yet.

It's a shame this OG Bozeman bike shop is no longer in business:

1632674296780.png

Back in the early 1900s, biking looked a little different ‘round these parts, but you better believe people were still gettin’ after it on two wheels. Seen here is William Ginn, posing inside his bicycle shop sometime around 1904. The shop, which was located on the south side of Main Street near the intersection with Tracy, was likely the first bike shop in town. Wonder what Mr. Ginn would think of Bozeman’s bike scene today?

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Glad the kid is ok and wants to keep riding. Getting hit by a car sucks big time. That metric 2 looks nice.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Glad the kid is ok and wants to keep riding. Getting hit by a car sucks big time. That metric 2 looks nice.
:stupid:

I disagree only in bike choice. Kid commuter bike? Simple and cheap is king. My long time commuter is a chromoly motobecane single speed with rim brakes. It probably has more miles on it than all my other bikes combined. As basic as a bike can practically be, almost totally idiot proof, very few parts to break. Understandable if she doesn't want to go SS, but I'd keep it as simple as possible. I'd go with the Motobecane out of the three.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Did you ask her what she would like? Never mind, not up to her. I select the Metric 2 or NONE OF THE ABOVE!!! Too much triple, not really needed for Bozeman or L.A.

I would say disks are a must, why you no shop on line?

Also - what's her stand over?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
On second thought... back and forth to school and a bit around town?

Go for the cheap one, 1X is fine unless she's climbing mountains, component level is fine and there is nothing on that bike that can't be fixed for less than $50.00. Plus pretty blue.

Also Muskrat Creek this week? Not Mon, Tues or Wed.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Did you ask her what she would like? Never mind, not up to her. I select the Metric 2 or NONE OF THE ABOVE!!! Too much triple, not really needed for Bozeman or L.A.

I would say disks are a must, why you no shop on line?

Also - what's her stand over?
She's pragmatic so she wants what's cheapest...

I think she's 5'5 ish so 14 or 15.5 frame

I hear Squeeb as bike will be abused and locked up outside the High School 8 hours a day.

I 'repurposed' my SC Superlight for her a few years back, but she preferred riding the fat bike in town, so she already has a "good" bike per se...

The counter-argument for DB bike would be better for biking YNP in the spring.

@Serial Midget, getting over what I assume to be just a nasty cold, my mom's been in and out of the Emergency Room 2x this month re: low O2 and presumably the same cold. AND the family is going to Chicago next week, so I'm probably out of commission for two weeks. But I need to do something fun before the snow starts to fall.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yikes! Glad she's ok! I too have been hit commuting. Scary stuff! I'd second Squeeb....cheap since it's going to be at a HS. Then look for something nicer for riding YNP if she still wants something nicer.