Quantcast

Help removing DHX 5 coil???

snojcb

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Cary, NC
I took the shock off my bike but cannot figure out how to get the coil off the shock. I assume the axel bushing thingy needs to be removed somehow, but I'm not sure how. Do I need special tools to do that??

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I assume it's the traditional 2 piece bushing (correct me if I'm wrong monkeys). Gingerly persuade the bushings out one side at a time. Should be much easier since you have a big bushing surface to work with.

1: Cut up an old tube and trim a piece that will completely wrap around one side of the bushing 2x (like you're wrapping a hotdog with pasitry dough). Make sure the bushing and old tube piece is clean of any lubricants (powder, water, oil, etc...).

2: Use a pair of vice grips (lock jaw plyers) and lock on to the area where the old tube. Twist and pull untill the bushing starts to lift.

3: If it still needs more pursuasion, use a flat head screw driver to pry under the lip of the bushing once you've been able to bring it up a bit.

Note: When reassembling, if you didn't destroy the bushings in the process... only happens if you lose your patience, make sure that the mating surfaces are clean of any debris. Apply a very small amount of dry lube and install the bushings as straight on as possible.

Hope this helps.

edit: the bushings look like this when removed

snojcb

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Cary, NC
This doc was most helpful:

Reducer Removal PDF

In it, it shows a stainless steel bushing that matches what I have. It also shows using a vice to get the bushing in. So I used my vice to get the bushing moved over as far as I could and then made some grab-blocks to safely and securely hold the bushing in the vice while I finally remove the bushing from the shock.

After that, the coils came off and on without a problem. I also followed the PDF instructions to re-attach the bushing.