Quantcast

Help reparing stanctions

jhhubb

Chimp
Apr 19, 2006
the all mighty 303
So I dinged up my stanctions in a race this weekend when the shifter broke off and I kept pedaling. There are two very small nicks in the the right stanction on my 40. Can someone walk me through a step by step process to repair them? Pics are greatly appreciated.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Go to an auto parts store and buy some JB Weld and 2000 grit sand paper. Following the instructions on the package mix the JB Weld and put a dab over the scratch. Try to be neat about where you put the JB weld, you're going to have to sand off everything but what is filling the scratch which will take some time, the more time you take to carefully apply the JB Weld the less time you'll spend sanding.

Wait 24 hours for the JB Weld to cure then get your sand paper and a bucket of water, dip the sandpaper in the bucket then start sanding the JB Weld. Sand until the JB weld is flush with the stanchion, if you have something very flat like a piece of NIST certified granite or a block or a piece of metal with a flat face machined on it you can use that behind the sandpaper but it's really not necessary. Make sure to rinse your sand paper in the bucket of water every minute or so to keep it clean and cutting. When you are sanding you should only be removing the JB Weld, don't worry too much about the finish on your fork, the annodizing is much harder than JB Weld and with 2000 grit sandpaper it would take a long time to sand through it by hand.

Take your time and it's pretty easy.

Now everybody is going to flame me and say all you need is nail polish and 1000 grit sandpaper, and they're right. There's a good way and there's a better way, you can choose.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Or just rub up and down with the round side of the shaft of a screw driver on the scratch. If the scratch is not to big then this will work find. Try to post a picture of the damage.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I tried to post earlier but for some reason it's missing.

Anyway, nail polish works. But before you do anything, is it leaking oil? If not, do nothing. You don't want to create a problem.

jhhubb

Chimp
Apr 19, 2006
the all mighty 303
It is not leaking but I did it on Sunday in my race run and haven't ridden since. If it doesn't leak oil and I knock the rough edges off (they are small) how could it ruin the seal?

Dammit I just got this f_+#ing fork. But I guess that is racing for you.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
How about a small nick? I did an OTB maneuver, and nicked my lower stanchion. Now its not huge, or a scratch, but just a nick....

?