Quantcast

Help~Save Malick from the Wicked Witch~Help

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
Hey guys,

So for christmas a few of my family members have opted to help me get my best friend home(my dog malick) as he's been at my ex-wife's house for 8 months now.(low on funds...finally got my stuff a month ago) Anyhow, I've been shopping around for airline tickets, and an approved airline carrier/cage for him to come home in and it's looking to be about a $500 ordeal...:help: Tickets run about $375, and cages range anywhere from $175 on up. He's a big boy, 56 inches long, 32 inches tall, and 100lbs+. I'm wondering if anyone has had to ship their dog, and threw the ole cage in the garage to collect dust? I really can't afford a $175 cage, so I'm looking around on ebay, craigslist, and my forum's that I frequent.

If you have a "Giant" cage, meaning, 32W x 48L x35H or larger, and you know it's airline approved, and you don't need it anymore, or even if you want to rent it to me, I'd pay for shipping both ways.

Thanks, gotta get my best friend back where he belongs, and away from the "X".

Attachments

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Check with your local shelter/SPCA or vet clinic and see if they have one you could borrow. They might ask for a deposit, I don't know. When you fly out, take it apart, stack the top inside the bottom with the gate in between and tape it up, and check it as baggage when you fly out.

When you fly out there to pick him up you will have to have a health certificate and letter of acclimation from a vet stating that he is healthy and up to date on his shots. The letter of acclimation should state on there the temperature range it is safe for the dog to fly in. Health certificates are good for ten days. Some of the airlines are picky and can be a pain in the ass about it. Depending on where he is and where he is flying to, if it is to hot/cold and even if you have a ticket, they might not let dogs be shipped for the dogs safety.

On the crate, make sure he is able to stand up and have his neck/head fully extended and he is able to turn around in it. Some airlines are a real pain in the a$$about it. You might/will have to buy a small/medium size bucket you can clip on the side/gate of the crate for water. Fill it up with half ice and water.

I haven't had to deal with shipping a dog since March, so I don't quite remember which airlines suck as far as shipping.

Good luck.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
now this is just my opinion, but unless the dog is literally on the other side of the country i would just drive out and pick him up. i could never keep a dog couped up in the cargo hold of a plane.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
gnurider1080 said:
now this is just my opinion, but unless the dog is literally on the other side of the country i would just drive out and pick him up. i could never keep a dog couped up in the cargo hold of a plane.
I think the longest flight I shipped a dog was from Denver to Italy.

There was only one dog that my former employer had that did not travel well, and she would get sick five minutes into a car ride.

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
gnurider1080 said:
Seattle to Cleveland is a 4 day drive, I'm having the X get the health records together and having him shipped out.

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
stevew said:
Check with your local shelter/SPCA or vet clinic and see if they have one you could borrow. They might ask for a deposit, I don't know. When you fly out, take it apart, stack the top inside the bottom with the gate in between and tape it up, and check it as baggage when you fly out.

When you fly out there to pick him up you will have to have a health certificate and letter of acclimation from a vet stating that he is healthy and up to date on his shots. The letter of acclimation should state on there the temperature range it is safe for the dog to fly in. Health certificates are good for ten days. Some of the airlines are picky and can be a pain in the ass about it. Depending on where he is and where he is flying to, if it is to hot/cold and even if you have a ticket, they might not let dogs be shipped for the dogs safety.

On the crate, make sure he is able to stand up and have his neck/head fully extended and he is able to turn around in it. Some airlines are a real pain in the a$$about it. You might/will have to buy a small/medium size bucket you can clip on the side/gate of the crate for water. Fill it up with half ice and water.

I haven't had to deal with shipping a dog since March, so I don't quite remember which airlines suck as far as shipping.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice, I actually got a checklist from AAcargo.com, they seem to be the most informative, and cheapest. If you can remember the best airline to deal with, as I won't be flying with him, that would be great.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Jay_Reemin said:
Thanks for the advice, I actually got a checklist from AAcargo.com, they seem to be the most informative, and cheapest. If you can remember the best airline to deal with, as I won't be flying with him, that would be great.
American Airlines was always easy to deal with. I think Continental was also easy to deal with to.