Quantcast

Help sleeping?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Always after I do weights which my friends and I do 3x a week at about 3:00pm for 2 solid hours of weights. I can never sleep that night I'm always reastless and my HRt is racing. I talked to my coach about it and he says it does take sometime for some people as long as 12hours for their metabolism to go back to normal. I'm pretty sure thats me seeing as I can only go to sleep 12 hours after my workout. It's only weights that does this to me.
There's nothing I can do cause I can't go in the mornings. So I have to find something really relaxing to get me to sleep. My coach suggested yoga, hot bath, some chamomile (sp?) tea.
Any other suggestions?

I had the same problem yesterday and we even went at 11:00am than went to a movie later that night and I still couldn't get to sleep till about 1:00am which is better than usaully actually. I have to wake up at 6:20am thats why this really sucks.
Any help would be great.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
how's your caffiene, sugar, and even guarana intake? the guarana is in a lot of sports drinks, it really gets some people wired. Do you have a relaxing bed time routine? Not TV or computer, but reading or something really quiet. that will help you shift gears.

There's always melatonin or Excedrin PM which is supposed to NOT be habit forming...??At least that's what my doc said to use on nights when I am restless.

geargrrl

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by geargrrl
how's your caffiene, sugar, and even guarana intake? the guarana is in a lot of sports drinks, it really gets some people wired. Do you have a relaxing bed time routine? Not TV or computer, but reading or something really quiet. that will help you shift gears.

There's always melatonin or Excedrin PM which is supposed to NOT be habit forming...??At least that's what my doc said to use on nights when I am restless.

geargrrl
Well I have coffee in the morning but thats it and it takes alot of coffee to get me wired. I never drink sports drimk except sometimes cyctomax and alot of the time I just like water when training. I think I'm going to try a few things and if they don't work I might resort to Excedrin PM or Melatonin it can't be to bad if I use that stuff 3x a week for 3 months?:)

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
check the cytomax label for guarana I just bought some that has it in it, but I think it's a new formulation.

good luck. I don't exercise at night becuase it gets me so wired.

geargrrl

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Originally posted by Jorvik
Tylenol Simply Sleep.

Its basically Tylenol PM only with no cold medicine and more sleep stuff.

I swear by it.
these OTC products are useful sleep aids. I'll have to read the label on the one you suggest, I thought it was the "cold medicine" in them that took the edge off so you can sleep, hmmm.

gg

Originally posted by JMAC
Always after I do weights which my friends and I do 3x a week at about 3:00pm for 2 solid hours of weights. I can never sleep that night I'm always reastless and my HRt is racing. I talked to my coach about it and he says it does take sometime for some people as long as 12hours for their metabolism to go back to normal. I'm pretty sure thats me seeing as I can only go to sleep 12 hours after my workout. It's only weights that does this to me.
There's nothing I can do cause I can't go in the mornings. So I have to find something really relaxing to get me to sleep. My coach suggested yoga, hot bath, some chamomile (sp?) tea.
Any other suggestions?

I had the same problem yesterday and we even went at 11:00am than went to a movie later that night and I still couldn't get to sleep till about 1:00am which is better than usaully actually. I have to wake up at 6:20am thats why this really sucks.
Any help would be great.
2 hours of weights seems a bit much to me. However, are you saying your heart races from the time you start working out through the time you fall asleep?

If that's the case, I'd see a doctor.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by Jorvik
Tylenol Simply Sleep.

Its basically Tylenol PM only with no cold medicine and more sleep stuff.

I swear by it.

This stuff rocks! I only use it once in a while...when I'm having a hard time sleeping. Make sure you take it early enough in the night so you won't feel all tired in the morning. I try and take it no later than 9pm.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Yeah, definatly don't just use the stuff willy-nilly. I only use it when I really need to get to sleep or if my sleep cycle is out of whack (as it is right now).

Another thing about all the herbal "natural" sleep supplements. Well, all "natural" supplements really. I know quite a few people who believe that since they're "natural" they can take them all the time without either getting dependent on them or screwing up their body chemistry. Natural supplements usually contain the same chemicals as OTC ones. Same thing only with an unregulated amount of the active ingredients in them.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well it's almost delayed I'll be relaxed after but maybe an hour later I start getting all wired. Ya we do a really do alot of weight when we go.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by El Jefe
Pull root.
Yes, the natural method works best.

I do find that I sleep less on nights after a heavy cardio workout, I make up for it on rest days. I don't really have any difficulty falling asleep but will wake up for 4AM and not be able to go back to sleep. This is because I prefer to do my running at night, if I have 10 miler planned I am sometimes not back until 8PM, if I have pushed hard my heart will still be in the 70s when I lay down. I don't take any pills or suplements - I just live with it.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by konabumm
SEX..... 5min later out like a light
Thats would work but I don't have a GF at the moment.:(

Whats weird is when I do a heavy cardio workout I sleep great it's just the weights that do this to me. If it keeps happening I think I'll take my coaches advice and see the Doc.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by JMAC
Thats would work but I don't have a GF at the moment.:(

Whats weird is when I do a heavy cardio workout I sleep great it's just the weights that do this to me. If it keeps happening I think I'll take my coaches advice and see the Doc.
No GF? No prob. Once again, a root pull = nap time 30 secs later.