Quantcast

[Help] Specialized Demo hubs measurments?

nenjarickard

Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden.
I do need some help. My rims are getting badly beaten up and i am going for some serious riding in 2 weeks.
Now i need to get new spokes for my coming rims but i do not know what length!

This is the first time i'm trying to calculate the spoke length myself so i'm a bit unsecure on how to measure and i do not have the hubs available (at work), so i thought that i am probably not the first one to rebuild wheels on these hubs?

They came on my Demo 8 II 2009, all that spesh says about em on the page is:

"Specialized Hi-Lo disc, 20mm thru-axle, 32h"
&
"Specialized thru axle 135mm, hollow 10mm Cr-Mo axle w/ RD guard"

Anyone know what info i need to calculate the length of the spokes between these hubs and my incoming EX721's? :P

Ps. Also mailed Spesh.

Edit: Also remembered that i got a play in these hubs, anyone knows what bearings i should get for them?

Thanks in advance!

/Rickard

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well, first thing you want to do, is fix the play in the hubs.

Sounds like your going to have to do it the old fashioned way and measure the hubs by hand unless somone know what hub it is for sure, and that hub comes up on the Spoke calc pages somewhere.

Also, remember that it is very possible that thie rear wheel will have to be built a bit different than the front due to the rear being offset.

As much as most hate to hear it, this is probably a good case were you should have a shop build the wheels, someone who has built a few wheels and understands how to measure the hubs, and how to get the offset right with the speccy rear end they used on alot of the demos.

nenjarickard

Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden.
Thanks for the answer, i want to learn to build my own wheels anyway and my mechanic is off to do some racing so i do not really have a choice. :P

I called my Spesh distributor and actually got him to measure a pair of these hubs, even though he did it when they where built up i hope i can trust him.

fra
flange diameter left 57 mm
flange diameter right 40 mm
flange distance left 20 mm
flange distance right 28 mm

bak
flange diameter 57 mm
flange distance right 21 mm
flange distance left 40 mm
(6mm offset)

"ERD for the EX 721 is 532" -Sicklines.

The hubs are 32H & i'll go for 3X-build.

This gives: 255.8 left & 259.1 right front, 257.2 left & 256.4 right rear at: http://www.wheelpro.co.uk

Anything wrong so far? ^^

Now i just gotta determine weither i wanna go with fancy alloy-nipples or not and actually learn to build em up. Only been tightening wheels up so far...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Spesh hubs = DT Swiss OEM hubs. I've had good luck with the spoke calculator from DT Swiss. Also, if this is for a Demo 8, the rear hub spoke length should be the same for the left and right flange, make building very very easy.

nenjarickard

Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden.
Spesh hubs = DT Swiss OEM hubs. I've had good luck with the spoke calculator from DT Swiss. Also, if this is for a Demo 8, the rear hub spoke length should be the same for the left and right flange, make building very very easy.
You know if i can find the exact measurements somewhere from DTswiss?

I guess i could go with 257mm for both sides rear, that's nice. :)

nenjarickard

Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden.
I almost forgot! Thanks alot for the help guys, i ended up with building my first wheels successfully and they have survived some serious abuse from a rather none-smooth rider trying his best to get faster. :)

They look better irl: