Quantcast

Help spending $1500-ish..

Paul Cataldo

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Fellas,
I have recently got back into the sport after about 10 yrs of no riding. I'm about 5'11", and weigh around 155lbs.
Boy do I miss it!

Anyhow, I was considering a Gary Fisher Cake 3 DLX or maybe the 4DLX, but now I'm not so sure.
I don't think I want the Trek Fuel's either. I see them by the thousands at literally every pro shop I go to, and I'm sure they are a good bike, but I want something a little different.
I was also considering something from Specialized, but I have not been to a shop yet, that carries their line.
I was thinking maybe of looking at an FSR Pro or Comp maybe?
I was wondering if Yeti offers anything around (maybe a little above if necessary) $1500?
I definitely want full suspension for mostly XC riding, and some occasional jumps/drops.
I would love to stay under, or right at 30lbs, and I definitely want hyd disc brakes.
Lockout on front and rear suspension would be nice too.

I looked at a Kona today, and I did not know what model it was (was around $1800), and it was not quite what I wanted, with the square tubed looking frame.
I hear the Kona Coiler is decent, but heavier than most prefer.

I was really dead set on the GF Cake line, but I have read mixed opinions on them, and also that they are suited for riders with longer torsos, something that I do not have! LOL!
I don't think I really am after Trek, Cannondale, or Santa Cruz offerings really. They are nice, but I just have the gut feeling there is much better out there, waiting to be found! (not many Santa Cruz dealers around with them in stock anyhow).

SO, if anyone would be willing to help make suggestions for a bike from Gary Fisher, Specialized, Kona, Yeti (if funds permit!), or others I've not mentioned, I'd REALLY appreciate the help here guys.
I must say technology has come a long way since I last rode, and I am a little overwhelmed.
Keep in mind I realize that I need to go out and demo as many bikes as possible as well.
Thanks so much for any help here fellas.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i ride a fuel so im a bit prejudiced...i ride hard, am 5 10 and 215 and its held up great. i've had it since 01

however if i could i would certainly ride just about anything specialized has to offer.

yeti is awesome too but i suspect it might bust yer budget.

things have advanced SO much since you last rode just about anything you throw a leg over is going to amaze you.

Paul Cataldo

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Thanks so much for responding bud. I know you guys get sick of the "which bike" ads, and I'm doing all the research and reading I can.
Anyhow, I saw a few Yeti's down around $1600, but don't remember where I saw them, or what they included.

I wish I had some GOOD pro shops around, with a lot of choices for me to demo.
As I said, it's MOSTLY Trek, and a few Gary Fishers I've seen so far...

I really would like to find out from you guys, what are the best Specialized model(s) for my price range, and then I can call and ask the dealers if they have one in stock....
Thanks for taking the time to help me bud.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
the kona's are nice bikes for the money. the squared tubed bike you were refering too is the dawg. they do make a more cross country oriented bike called the Kikapu that starts off at about what you're looking for price wise.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Look into the Specialized Enduro - not the high end Enduros with 6" of Travel but the lower level Enduros that I think are still 5" front and rear. Could be great bang for the buck.

And don't rule out the Kona Dawgs - they are nice bikes as well.

Any Iron Horse Dealers near you? If so, see if they carry the Hollowpoint MKiii Comp. Maybe a Cannondale Prophet 800 would be in your budget - not sure. Another versatile bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
MMcG said:
Look into the Specialized Enduro - not the high end Enduros with 6" of Travel but the lower level Enduros that I think are still 5" front and rear. Could be great bang for the buck.

And don't rule out the Kona Dawgs - they are nice bikes as well.

Any Iron Horse Dealers near you? If so, see if they carry the Hollowpoint MKiii Comp. Maybe a Cannondale Prophet 800 would be in your budget - not sure. Another versatile bike.
All those bikes sound good. You should also look at a hardtail. They're way lighter because at 1500 you're not going to get a very light bike. Plus they're super reliable.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
Buy a nice steel hardtail, like a gunner, and throw some nice components on it. So much better than some jankofide short travel suspension flexer. It will climb better too.

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
Hey, have you considered the rocky mountain salyer 7.0, they are super gnarly and great fir climbing, also they can take one hell of a drop..

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Bicyclist said:
All those bikes sound good. You should also look at a hardtail. They're way lighter because at 1500 you're not going to get a very light bike. Plus they're super reliable.
Yeah, and you can get a well appointed Rocky Mountain Blizzard. I am partial to steel or ti hardtails though.