Quantcast

Help Switching From Dhx Air To Coil

Roo

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Vanconver, WA
I have an 07 Specialized Sworks Enduro with a DHX 5.0 Air. I want to switch to a DHX coil or something similar but when I checked the Fox website I can't find a coil shock the same as my air shock[8.75 x 2.5]. I am concerned about what will be affected if I don't get a shock the exact right size. I saw 8.5 x 2.5, 8.75 x 2.75. I know I've seen people with DHX coils on their Enduro's so I was just curious as to what was used. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Bighitz

Chimp
Mar 18, 2005
Bay Area, CA
If you get the 8.75x2.75 you will get a bit more travel due to the longer stroke, you should cycle through the travel w/o the spring to ensure the frame doesn't bottom out, but I am fairly sure it will work.

If you get the 8.5x2.5 you will have the same travel but the bike will be a bit slacker due to the shorter i2i.

My friend has a 2006 Enduro Expert and went w/ a 8.5x2.5 and it feels great as I think the stock bike is a bit steep. Hope this helps.
-Zach

Roo

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Vanconver, WA
Thanks man I will look into that? I would guess that I would prefer the slacker bike over having to worry about bottoming out. Has your friend had any problems with his bike because of the swap to the shorter coil?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Let me get this straight: you have the old school enduro, correct?

I believe there are fit issues with a coil shock. I would search for it on this site.

Bighitz

Chimp
Mar 18, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Thanks man I will look into that? I would guess that I would prefer the slacker bike over having to worry about bottoming out. Has your friend had any problems with his bike because of the swap to the shorter coil?
I am sure the 8.75x2.75 will work, however I think the 8.5 feels a lot better, but I like a lower slacker bike. His is the same boxy frame as yours and there have been no problems with the bike or shock or fit at all.

-Zach