Quantcast

Help w/ Flats

pipefitter

Chimp
Jul 15, 2005
I'm not new to MTB but I am new to trying out flats on the trail. I have not been on flats since a kid. I am very use to clipless pedals but sometimes I do wish I had a set of flats to try. I ride mostly alot of trails that have logs rocks and obstacles. Any help on trying to to get over obstacles w/ flats would be great. I'm so used to pulling up on the pedals when I'm clipped in so running flats will be a new change for me.

Oh, I have a set of Sun Ringles ZuZu's just for reference.

Thanks in advance.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Well, whether you are trying to bunny hop obstacles or just ride over tall obstacles, the motion is pretty much the same. You could get the best advice, by searching the BMX forum here. There have been some really good threads on how to bunny hop with flat pedels on there.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Hehehe SEARCH.
It will be hard, but you will learn. I went form clipless to bunnyhopping up four stairs (so far) on flats.

pipefitter

Chimp
Jul 15, 2005
hey thanks for the replies,

Yeah this is just one of things I've been wanting to try. I see those guys on the BMX bikes doing stuff not clipped in and I say what the hell I'll give it a try.
I just like the fealing that if I have to bail, I won't be attached to the bike.

Oh, I did purchase shin gaurds, haha

Thanks

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Basicly, you compress you arms and legs while centered over the bike. Then, you uncompress your limbs reall fast while almost jumping up, but while pulling the bike up. To pull the back up, you have to have your pedals at an angle (pushing your feet agsinst them with the tips of your shoes pointing towards the ground. If you are going high or comiing off a drop/jump, you extend your llimbs while in the air so you can bend your limbs to absorb the impact.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Imagine a bird and how they grasp branches, wires, twigs. Their feet curl around it.

Find an empty parking lot or similar area with no traffict. Now, at a coasting speed get your feet centered over the pedal so that your toes hang off the front. Then, point your toes towards the ground. Like the bird, imagine trying to "curl" your toes around the front of the pedal. Now try to lift up the rear tire with just your feet and leg movement. Keep practicing that movement over and over.

Now that you've got the feet movement down, practice pulling up the front end, while doing the first motion with your feet. Try to exagerrate the movement by pulling the handlebars far up and forward to try to get your chest to touch your seat.

Keep practicing over and over.

Put obstacles in front of you to jump over. Start small, with a brick or something, then build your way up.

Keep practicing.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Ride at full speed towards a curb

Yank on the bars

After feeling the pain of having to buy new wheels, try again.

IF you don't fly over the entire sidewalk this time, I'd say you have no hope.

pipefitter

Chimp
Jul 15, 2005
Hey thanks for that metaphor of the bird Jayridesacove! That was pretty cool!
I have been practicing when I can and it starts to come natural as you keep doing it over and over. As far as the curb thing, I can do it very well with my Candy egg beaters, but with flats It's just a matter of time.

Keep the input a flowing, I need all the help I can get!

Thanks again