Quantcast

Help; What size bike should I buy?

Bugman

Chimp
Jan 31, 2002
Midwest
Help; I am looking to buy a new bike, I have been shopping local bike stores, some of these guys say I belong on a small frame some say on a med. frame.
I am 5'8" tall and have a 29.5 inch inseam, I have a fairly long torso.
The bikes I am considering are the Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo and the Specialized Rockhopper comp. The Fisher is a 15.5inch and the Specialized is a 17 inch.
What do you folks recomend?

Thanks Bugman

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Bugman
Help; I am looking to buy a new bike, I have been shopping local bike stores, some of these guys say I belong on a small frame some say on a med. frame.
I am 5'8" tall and have a 29.5 inch inseam, I have a fairly long torso.
The bikes I am considering are the Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo and the Specialized Rockhopper comp. The Fisher is a 15.5inch and the Specialized is a 17 inch.
What do you folks recomend?

Thanks Bugman
Depends on the type of riding you plan to do. If its just firetrail and some single track you'll be more comfortable on a 17" I wouldn't wanna go much bigger, but a 15.5 may feel to small.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
Go back to your local shop(s), and get a 15 and a 17 off the rack. Stand over the middle of the top tube on each. Whichever gets the closest to 1.5" of clearance from the TT to your bits wins. And if it's close, go with the smaller frame - always better to opt with more clearance.

Also, whichever frame is easier to get to the proper seat height without having the seatpost way up near the minimum insertion.

heh heh heh... you said "insertion"... heh heh heh

Bugman

Chimp
Jan 31, 2002
Midwest
Thanks for the imput all, I found a SWEEEEET deal on a stumpjumper comp in 17 inch $800.00 had to pounce. It rides awsome!

Latter

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I was going to say go with the 17. You have a long torso because your inseam is the same as mine but you have 3 inches on me. With a 15 you'd probably have to use a long stme to get a decent fit. Long stem equals superman impressions.