Quantcast

Help - who makes low pressure pumps

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well I went and bought Skookum's Z1 SL last week or so. It arrived Saturday morning via the Fedex Man and I have it all set up on my Hollowpoint now as of last night. One snag though - my shock pump is not effective for the low positive PSI that you need to run in the positive air chambers of this fork.

So I had to kind of guestimate (which isn't great for this type of fork)with the positive air pressure and negative air pressure.

I know Marzocchi makes a pump for their air shocks, but does anyone know of other companies that make them as well?

And here's a real longshot - anyone in Greater Hartford Area running a Marzocchi Air fork where I could borrow their pump to at least get the fork tuned up until I get a pump of my own? :help:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
There must be someone in the Bikerag crew that runs a Marz. Do you have a good LBS close by you frequent? Chances are if it's a shop you stop and buy stuff often enough so they know you, they may very well air it up for you @ n/c.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
loco said:
That is the same as an Aireon pump I got from Supergo. It releases so much air when you take it off, it is horrible.
Yeah... welcome to shock pumps. We use an early manitau style shock pump at the shop, and it works alright... You just gotta be quick when taking them off. Mostly its just pressure in the line. I still have not found one that you can take off without loosing just a little presse.

J

JRB

=[Stinky]= said:
Yeah... welcome to shock pumps. We use an early manitau style shock pump at the shop, and it works alright... You just gotta be quick when taking them off. Mostly its just pressure in the line. I still have not found one that you can take off without loosing just a little presse.
My fox is the best. It has to do with the whole valve, pump interface. I had to grind the tips on the valve core on my swinger, because Manitou didn't do it quite right. It needed to be threaded just a little deeper.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Things to pay attention to...

Only tighten a pump until pressure registers on the gauge. Overtightening damages the o-rings.

If a pump is working properly no pressure will be lost from the shock chamber when the pump is removed. Lower pressure will be measured if the pump is re-connected. A volume of air is displaced into the hose on the pump when the valve opens lowering the measured pressure slightly (about 2-5 psi).

Don't leave a front shock adapter like Marzocchi's or RS Sid in your shock pump. The o-ring will become permanently compressed and will leak if used without the adapter as on a rear shock.

Happy pumping!

Mike

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Dartman said:
Things to pay attention to...

Only tighten a pump until pressure registers on the gauge. Overtightening damages the o-rings.

If a pump is working properly no pressure will be lost from the shock chamber when the pump is removed. Lower pressure will be measured if the pump is re-connected. A volume of air is displaced into the hose on the pump when the valve opens lowering the measured pressure slightly (about 2-5 psi).

Don't leave a front shock adapter like Marzocchi's or RS Sid in your shock pump. The o-ring will become permanently compressed and will leak if used without the adapter as on a rear shock.

Happy pumping!

Mike
:thumb: