Quantcast

help with bike for beginner!

Jan 21, 2002
melbourne, Australia
hi, to everyone out there in OZ.

i've got a friend who's looking to get into mtbing and is looking for a bike. her price range is $400-600 AUD.

i was thinking the an aluminium frame and front shocks is reasonable in this price range.

brands being tossed up are NORCO, AVANTI and GIANT.

any adivce on specs, brands or anything relevant to this price range would be great

thanks!!:help:

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by the_prozac_kid
hi, to everyone out there in OZ.

i've got a friend who's looking to get into mtbing and is looking for a bike. her price range is $400-600 AUD.

i was thinking the an aluminium frame and front shocks is reasonable in this price range.

brands being tossed up are NORCO, AVANTI and GIANT.

any adivce on specs, brands or anything relevant to this price range would be great

thanks!!:help:
What kind of riding will she be doing??

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
If I remember correctly, 400-600 Aussie $$$ is about $250-350 US $$$. For that, you'd be lucky to find a quality aluminum frame, let alone decent front shocks. Of the 3 you listed, I'd suggest the Giant, though I'm partial to the entry-level Kona bikes. You may be able to find a blow-out from last year, but don't hold your breath. Be patient, and you'll find a bike that fits the bill.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Used used used used used! At that price you're lookin' at a disposable bike anyway. You can usually find something used for that kind of riding that's not too bad. Aluminum might be pushin' it, but make her get chro-moly and build up some leg strength! :p
Then after a couple years of riding she'll have a better idea of what she wants/needs and can think about upgrading at that time.
That's my $0.02 (or about $0.03 AUD :rolleyes: )

Flipper

Chimp
Nov 19, 2001
Southern Ontario
You would proabably get a lot more for you money with a used bike. Mountian bikes lose there value extremely quickly, so it might we worth a shot.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
All I know is that my friend got a Giant Rainier SE for about $550 US and he is very happy with it. Marzocchi shock and avid mech disc brakes are a steal at this price point. Very upgradeable as well.