Quantcast

Help with Building Trials Bike

Scheer

Chimp
Feb 9, 2011
Let me start of by saying I have no clue about bikes... So please bear with my lack of knowledge. :D

I have a Schwinn Thrasher bike that I'm pretty sure is classed as a mountain bike? I stopped riding it when I was 14, and decided to pull it out from under the deck to get me back in shape... I am 20 now and run on the nights, but lets face it, running is boring, so I figured I would get into trials. I'm sure a lot of the the things I will ask are found on the internet, but with there being time trials bikes, searching for the information is not easy, for me at least.

It is steel frame and stripped down weighs about 10 pounds. I haven't put much thought into this and basically just tore everything off of the bike right away. From what I have gathered I will for sure need a new wider rear tire and some form of gearing. I believe single speed is what is needed? Where does the ability to coast without pedaling come from? I think what I mean is called a freewheel, but I'm not quite sure...

Will I regret sticking with the stock V-brakes? Mostly temporary...

I also need a solid front fork, but don't understand all the different measurements they call for. The diameter of my wheel is 20.5" and the tire is ~24", so would it be a 20" or 24" bike?

And lastly, what do I do for pedals? All I have found is that clipless is bad. The other two I know of are caged pedals having sharp points that give grip, and platform pedals with bolt studs for grip. Or are the studs for another purpose?

I have a CNC machine and soon a metal lathe, so I can rigg up things if you have any creative ideas for me. Also a complete metal shop if anything crazy is needed. I'm having a heck of a time removing the cranks too... they are squared, but is there a special way to take them off, or are they just pressed on tightly? I can just make a V wedge if they are just pressed on, but I didn't want to force it too hard incase there is something special I am missing.

Thanks in advanced, Taylor.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
You are just chasing the dragon with that thing. It's never going to be good for trials, the frame geometry is all wrong. (And it's a tank) You can get a decent used trials bike for 400-500 if you are patient. Make an account at observedtrails.net and check the classifieds. Also watch ebay, some nice trials bikes go pretty cheap sometimes.

I don't suggest you post this same question at OTN. You will get flamed badly.

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
eod speaks the truth. As much as it would cost to get your bike to the point of somewhat usable for trials, you could buy a much better used trials specific bike.

And yes, OTN will eat you alive if you get your e-feelings hurt easily. Be patient and keep an eye on the for sale section. If you can manage 600-700, you should be able to find one pretty quick. You can find them for less, but it might take a while longer.

Scheer

Chimp
Feb 9, 2011
I appreciate the help, I ended up pitching the bike.

I'll definitely keep an eye out on the sale sections, is there really anything in particular to avoid? Or for the most part, will all claimed trials bikes preform well enough to learn?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Generally, you want:
Light weight
High BB and short stays
Freewheel with as many engagement points as possible
Good brakes (Myself and others tend to prefer disk front and maggie rim rear, linear brakes are fine too)
Downhill type rear tire (pressure is run really low, keeps you from pinch flats)
Wide handle bars

Also check craigslist if you can. I scored those two bikes above and my Echo on CL for cheap.