Quantcast

Help with CX build

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
So, I get to build my first frame up as soon as brown santa brings her. All I have now is (or soon) the frame (Soul Cycles Monk) & fork.

I know I want Mustache bars, ck headset, time pedals.....& that is all I know of at the moment.

The problem is I dont know much about road/cx parts groups, for instance....I have no clues when it comes to wheels, all I know is I want light & strong wheels. I found a nice (looks nice to me) set on Webcyclery.com but they were 130mm & I need 135mm.

So any suggestions would rock.

peas out.
(I wonder how many more ()'s i could fit in? :D )

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
TN said:
So, I get to build my first frame up as soon as brown santa brings her. All I have now is (or soon) the frame (Soul Cycles Monk) & fork.

I know I want Mustache bars, ck headset, time pedals.....& that is all I know of at the moment.

The problem is I dont know much about road/cx parts groups, for instance....I have no clues when it comes to wheels, all I know is I want light & strong wheels. I found a nice (looks nice to me) set on Webcyclery.com but they were 130mm & I need 135mm.

So any suggestions would rock.

peas out.
(I wonder how many more ()'s i could fit in? :D )
OK, this is a fun kind of bike to build. I have some suggestions.
It might help if you tell us if you are racing this bike, commuting on it, looking to go cheap, spending the kids inheritance, tec....

You need some shifters, unless you are going single speed.
I like my cheap Shimano 105's. I crash, so if they get wrecked, they don't cost me TOO much to replace. A cheaper way to go is bar end shifters, but I don't know if they work with the On-One bar you mentioned in your other post. In fact, I roll with mostly all 105 stuff, other than brakes (Onza cantis) and cranks (Truvativ). If you are going single, just get some brake levers like the Cane Creek SC5's.

You need some canti brakes. There are all sorts of fancy CX brakes, but any old set of MTB cantis you might have in the parts box would work. If you need new ones, cheap/good brakes that work are the Nashbar/Tektro/Cane Creek ones - all the same brake really.

Cranks - I run Truvativ 170's for a little more clearance than my MTB standard 175s would give me. No special reason tor the Trus - they were cheap in the size I needed. If light is what you want lots of folks run their cx bikes as 1x9 setups.

Um...wheels.
This shop has some bombproof wheels set up for what you want. These are on 135mm rears:
http://www.nycbikes.com/item.php?item_id=374
They sell them cheaper on ebay sometimes too. Not the lightest in the world though. Lighter would be to build them yourself. There is a shortage of 135 spaced wheels for 700c frames, as discussed in the other thread. Respacing or replacing the axle on a 130mm wheelset is also an option.

That's all I have for now - oh wait - the bar. That On-One bar rocks, but remember that the clamp area is MTB spacing, so you will need a MTB (not road) stem. If you use an MTB stem, most road bars will not fit (if you think you might go with a more standard road bar in the future).
Good luck with this build & keep us updated.
I really dig my CX bike, and I'm sure you will enjoy yours as well.
-Mackie

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Since you want to run mustache bars, go with bar cons for your shifting and regular mtb brake levers so you can either use V brakes or cantis. Do you want a double or a triple on the front? If you go double, I would run a CX crankset with 48x36 (compact 110 BCD) or a 48x38 (road130 BCD) tooth setup and a least a 25 tooth cassette or higher.

You might be able to find some cheap 3 cross wheels for a 700c hybrid bike because some of them run 135mm spacing.

BTW, I've got a few new CX tires in different sizes for sale if you are interested.

Hope this helps!

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
yes, this is very helpful so far. I am not looking to break the bank or anything. The bikes intended use is mainly for commuting, long road rides, & possibly some racing but by no means does it have to be a racing machine.

I want go with a double ring. The 105 stuff sounds good, i run a 105 rdr on my imp & it has taken some abuse, so it seems like a winner. I will take a look at your tires too.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Mackie said:
That's all I have for now - oh wait - the bar. That On-One bar rocks, but remember that the clamp area is MTB spacing, so you will need a MTB (not road) stem.
-Mackie
The Mungo bar uses a 26.0mm road clamp, not a 25.4mm mountain clamp. However, I think On-One states that you'll be fine if you run them with a mountain bike stem.

I have a set at home they I'm waiting to put on a frame.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Colin said:
The Mungo bar uses a 26.0mm road clamp, not a 25.4mm mountain clamp. However, I think On-One states that you'll be fine if you run them with a mountain bike stem.

I have a set at home they I'm waiting to put on a frame.

You're right Colin. TN said Mungo, I heard Midge, which is what is on my ride. If the Mungo's are as nice as the Midge's, you're going to love 'em.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

I will order parts as $$$ is available so it is a long term (til dec.) project. thinking of ordering wheels real soon. debating on the ones above or going the custom built route. :think:

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
The frame got here 3 days early! pics soon to follow...
CF-i will holla at you about the tires as soon the budget allows.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Like they said- bar cons with those bars. For wheels, just something reliable. My pick would be Shiano hubs and Mavic rims. I run Ultegras and Open Pros on my CX bike and they work great. If you need 135, just use a reliable mountain hub.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
TN said:
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/188/188219/folders/221186/1714303monk-4.jpg[/QUOTE]
SWEET! Looks really bad ass in that color. I'm sure you are going to enjoy building that up.
Have fun.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
FINALLY!!!!
I am going to start building her up!

I will be in & out of here asking a lot of questions here in the next few weeks so LOOK OUT!! :D

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Nice frame. My wife's the same color but has decals on the downtube. Same fork too. I'm building it up with riser bars so it's more of a mountain hybrid then pure cx.

I'm running sram x.7 shifters, X.9 rear D and xgen front D, FSA Gossimer compact 36-48 cranks, sram cassette for the drive train. Avid Shorty 7's with SD7 levers for brakes. Easton Monkey bars and stem, thompson post, terry butterfly saddle, and candy C pedals to finish it off. The wheels are Sun CR18 rims laced to Deore hubs with WTB all terrainasaurus tires. I'm not sure about the hubs. They aren't real smooth rolling and kind of heavy. I may replace them with some thing lighter and smoother down the line. Hopefully I'll have it finished up tonight. Complete cost was around $700.

My wife says I can ride it if I want to. She's real nice like that.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
jdschall said:
Nice frame. My wife's the same color but has decals on the downtube. Same fork too. I'm building it up with riser bars so it's more of a mountain hybrid then pure cx.

I'm running sram x.7 shifters, X.9 rear D and xgen front D, FSA Gossimer compact 36-48 cranks, sram cassette for the drive train. Avid Shorty 7's with SD7 levers for brakes. Easton Monkey bars and stem, thompson post, terry butterfly saddle, and candy C pedals to finish it off. The wheels are Sun CR18 rims laced to Deore hubs with WTB all terrainasaurus tires. I'm not sure about the hubs. They aren't real smooth rolling and kind of heavy. I may replace them with some thing lighter and smoother down the line. Hopefully I'll have it finished up tonight. Complete cost was around $700.

My wife says I can ride it if I want to. She's real nice like that.
Cool, I am glad there is someone here who has/is building up one of these too. Nice build too.

I got my wheels & shifters (Shimano 105's) in today. Now I need to find a good crankset (suggestions?), BB (do you know what size JDSCHALL?), drivetrain, etc....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
TN said:
Cool, I am glad there is someone here who has/is building up one of these too. Nice build too.

I got my wheels & shifters (Shimano 105's) in today. Now I need to find a good crankset (suggestions?), BB (do you know what size JDSCHALL?), drivetrain, etc....
Thanks...

You know, I have no idea what size the bb is. Soulcycles installed it for me and I never thought to ask. I might have the container it came in at home. I'll check tonight and see if the size is on the label. Actually just email web@ridesoul.com and ask. That's probably the fastest way to find out.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
TN said:

Remember that BB spindle length does vary with crank brand.