Quantcast

Help with Demo 8 bottom bracket

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
I have a new Demo 8 frameset on the way and have been researching the bottom bracket configuration.
I currently own a set of Saints that I would like to use, but I'm not sure of the adapter that I should use.
I know the frameset should come with an adapter but from what I have read they are not all that good.

Is there something on the market that is better than what is supplied with the frame?
I really don't want to spend 3-4 hundred dollars on a crankset if i don't have to.

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
I think Shimano now makes a PF30 BB that will work with the old Saint cranks. I'd go that route. The supplied plastic cups that Specialized gives you with the frame are total garbage.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Smart.
I simply hate press fit BB...high quality carbon road bikes, I get it. For low end/ low tolerance bike, it drives me crazy. In the last month I've worked on 10+ PF BBs where the bearing simply fall out and push right back in with zero effort.
My favorite is specialized's solutions: a plastic press in insert. It's like....seriously? The "improved standard" is now pressing in a soft plastic adaptor into an aluminum frame, and then threaded some high torque aluminum cups that will see high impact loads? Did they finally fix that for this year?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My favorite is specialized's solutions: a plastic press in insert. It's like....seriously? The "improved standard" is now pressing in a soft plastic adaptor into an aluminum frame, and then threaded some high torque aluminum cups that will see high impact loads? Did they finally fix that for this year?
that never seemed like a good idea to me either..

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
no 83mm option
I remember my LBS said that Shimano now makes an 83mm option. Maybe it's a special order thing. Either way, I'd do some more research on that before dropping the dough on new cranks. If you end up new cranks, my E13's with the pf30 BB have given me no issues.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I remember my LBS said that Shimano now makes an 83mm option. Maybe it's a special order thing. Either way, I'd do some more research on that before dropping the dough on new cranks. If you end up new cranks, my E13's with the pf30 BB have given me no issues.
What about the loosening? Did you ever fix that?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I used the press fit with saint cranks on my '12 demo and have had absolutely no problems after a full season of riding. I used a loctite product that was designed for plastic to metal (can't remember the number off hand) and applied a little to the plastic cups before pressing them in. It's not the issue that people like to make it out to be...keep the saints, spend $5 on loctite, don't bother with new cranks or adapters.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I'm running Saint cranks with the Saint BB and the Specialized supplied adapter. I'm about 230 on a good day and haven't had a single problem with mine after 1.5 years of use. That 1.5 years includes 10 days at Whistler (3 wet), a couple N* trips and lots of shuttling. I really want to buy the Race Face BB which looks slick but I can't justify spending the money or really the hassle of removing what works perfectly fine.

A buddy of mine had some creaking issues and replaced his with the Truvativ adapter and used Loctite. His has been perfect ever since.

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
What about the loosening? Did you ever fix that?
Yeah, the torque spec is just tighter than super tight. If you think you tightened the bolt enough, crank it harder. It's kind of like the Special-ED command post.

The supplied plastic adapter never worked in my frame. Every pedal stroke I took with that set-up I would hear a very bad creaking noise from the BB area. Believe me, I wish it would have worked as I would have saved quite a bit of money. Try the supplied set up with the adapters, but if that doesn't work the new E13 set-up is the way to go on the new Demo's.