Quantcast

Help with Fixie decision.

Deshi

Chimp
Aug 31, 2007
Tempe, AZ
Hello, I am in the market for a fixed gear road bike. This will be my first ever road bike so I dont really know what to look for in one. I work in a LBS so I am going to pick out a bike form the manufactures we carry to help keep it affordable. Basically all I am asking for from the fellow monkies is let me know your thoughts and opinions on the bikes I have narrowed my choices down to. I appericate you replys in advance.

The bike is going to be used for commuting, cruising, and all around fun.

The list consists of the following.

2008 Giant Bowery-top of list right now but the weight is a little issue
2007 Raleigh Rush Hour-clean looks but i know nothing else on it
2008 Jamis Sputnik-really nice bike but is it to much for my needs

I would consider the 2008 Specialized Langster if I was assured the stickers would come off.

Also, does the Giant have cable guide braze ons? I would like a clean frame but I plan to run a front brake only.

The other option I have been looking into is doing a conversion. The only thing that is leading me away from doing that is the price increase in building a bike from the ground up.

Again, I appericate any and all info posted.

Thanks,

Deshi

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I'd do a conversion. You won't be cruising around on a cookie-cutter bike, and you'll enjoy the ride on a older steel bike a lot more. Look for a late 70's to late 80's frame, lugged, with semi-horizontal dropouts...or even a complete bike.

Deshi

Chimp
Aug 31, 2007
Tempe, AZ
I have a friend with an older Fuji frame that might fit me. I have yet to go measure it and see if it has the drop outs that I need but it is there incase I decide to go that route. I am starting to lean more twords building one as when I called Giant yesterday about availability on the Bowery, I was told they are 7 weeks out. The Jamis is 2 weeks out and I have not called on the Raleigh.

We have a complete Raleigh Competition GS at the shop on consignment. I just dont know if it would be worth the purchase. Its a little big for me as well but all in all it is pretty clean for its age and use.