Quantcast

Help with fork

Feb 8, 2009
Hello. Recently when i was in the process of making my gt moto a singlespeed, i had some down time and started to fool around with my marzocchi drop off comps. Knowing nothing about my fork, i took off the duster caps and pressed in the valve, resulting in a large loss of air. The forks are not completely dead but pretty close. One of my friends suggested a suspension pump but im not exactly sure if this will work. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APRECIATED!
Thanks
John

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
do NOT use a pump designed for a tire. you will blow the fork up. like said above...high pressure low volume is key...and only a bicycle suspension pump will do that

Feb 8, 2009
So i found the specs on marzocchis sight but to tell you the truth i have no idea what any of it means.

Features
Damping system 1 side: coil
1 side: air with piston rod
Open Bath SSV system
Adjustability PL
Dual external (AIR) preload adjuster

Spring type 1 side: coil; 1 side: air
Travel 110, 130 mm
Steer tube Steel
Drop-out type Standard

I can fix just about anything on my bike but my fork, thats another story. So if you know anything about forks i would much apreciate any bit of help!

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
You got rid of the air side, get a suspension pump (or borrow one) and refill it. You can look up the pressure on Marzocchi's site.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
both sides use air pre-load/spring as well as mentioned above, so instead of pre-loading the spring via a knob on top you just put a few psi in the fork leg with the spring, you could also custom tune somewhat since you have one side coil/one side air,

My tuning tips for you,
1.start with zero psi in both legs, just spring,
2.add air only to the side without the spring for starters until you get about the right feel,
3. then add just afew more psi,
4 then on the spring side instead of adding air, compress the fork and let air into the fork letting the valve close before releasing the fork. doing this acts as a negative spring to get ride of the pressure from the air spring side and gives it more of a coil only feel.

i've used this technique on my wifes bike as well for any marz. fork, works great even for coil only forks if you have too much spring, though not as effective.

hope this helps your tuning!
feel free to pm me if you have any other q's about my tuning tips!