Quantcast

Help with getting ready to race

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Basically this summer I am going to make a serious effort to race, and I was just wondering if someone could provide me with some help to figure out what exactly I need to do. I really have little to no clue how to get registered or anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

dcrides

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Heres is some general race info off the top of my head. Most registration is at the race but for some (US Open ?) you might need to pre-register. If you are doing the national championships or lots of usa-cycling sanctioned events, or are racing expert or pro
(i'd guess no being it's your first season) you will want to buy a licence for 30 bucks. It is a $5 dollar charge per race otherwise. This does not apply to Snowshoe though, it is not sanctioned by them. Most races you don't need to pre-qualify for, although you might need to qualify at the event. And race entries are not cheap, i would guess around 50 or 60 bucks average for DH and quite a bit cheaper for slalom. It's a bit overwhelming but have a good season and good luck.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
You can register at most of the races, and as dcrides said, if you are doing NORBA or USA races, you can either get a day pass, or a year pass. The yearly pass is required for expert and above and is $60, not $30, unless they lowered the price. The daily passes are $5 per DAY you will be riding, so its $10 per race if you practice Saturday.

besides that, if you are going to be staying at the race, get your roommates and hotel set up EARLY, make sure you have lots of extra tubes, tires, parts, etc, and MOST important, COME OUT AND HAVE FUN!

You can register at most of the races, and as dcrides said, if you are doing NORBA or USA races, you can either get a day pass, or a year pass. The yearly pass is required for expert and above and is $60, not $30, unless they lowered the price. The daily passes are $5 per DAY you will be riding, so its $10 per race if you practice Saturday.

besides that, if you are going to be staying at the race, get your roommates and hotel set up EARLY, make sure you have lots of extra tubes, tires, parts, etc, and MOST important, COME OUT AND HAVE FUN!
Hey man, how'd the wrist heal up from the Monster Park dismount? Oh, and by the way - nice back pak in Milby's film:biggrin:

Getting ready to race.................. is translation for getting ready to spend some money! Worth every penny though. You'll meet a lot of great people with similar interests and challenge your riding. Like the others said, try not to get to serious and make sure your having fun. If your going to race a lot of Norba's it is probably worth getting your license. Check www.usacycling.org or norbanationals.com for info. Last year I would have to say that the snowshoe races were the most fun for me. They are only having three races this year verus four last year, but I'd make to try and get to them all if I were you - plus no license needed there!!

What bike are you going to be riding? Hope to see you out there and good luck.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Don't you mean they are going to have three races this year like they did last year? :)

the wrist is doin alright, hurts from skiing snowshoe all weekend and falling a lot, which seems to be my going trend on that mountain!

And Dan, also on the racing thing, make sure to wear your body armor on the OUTSIDE of your jersey with a camelbak on top of that :monkeydance:

OK, i'm kidding about that part, but one thing that IS important, if you don't already have it, i'd definantly look into a full face helmet, definantly look into some knee/shin guards, and probably look into getting some type of armor. Johnny Nails wasn't kidding, the sh!t is expensive, but at least with the gear, once you have it, you have it!

Don't you mean they are going to have three races this year like they did last year? :)
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that we didn't actually get to race the first one. I got there on Wednesday of that week before the race so I got 4 good days of riding in. It was fun trying to get to the interstate after the race got called - The road was so flooded I thought the Yukon was going under a couple of times. What normally takes 5 hours to get home took almost 8.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Thanks for all the help guys ! I'll be riding a trek session 7. I've already got my full face and goggles and all of that good stuff, I just wanted to figure what exactly I needed as far as paper work and crap like that.