Quantcast

Help with Hawaii

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
A friend of mine who is getting married real soon wants to honeymoon in Maui. I though some of you guys on here might be able to help out with pointing her at some of the more romantic / better quality places there? I don't think money is too much of an object as long as it's not Kennedy expensive.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I'm originally from Maui, but live in Seattle now.

On the west side I would recommend the Hyatt Ka'anapali or Kapalua. On the east side there's some pretty great hotels over in Wailea - 4 seasons, Grand Wailea. If they're looking for something really secluded and out of the way - Hotel Hana would be the ticket. If they make it to Hana tell them to stop by the flower farm w/ the white church - it's on the way to the 7 sacred pools (My aunt and uncle own the farm) The pools are awesome to check out. Also sunrise on Haleakala should not be missed. For places to eat - well, there's way too many to list that are great - my Dad just recently retired from being a chef, otherwise I would've recommended his restaurant.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
The east side (Wailea area) is the newly developed side and has more of the upper scale hotels. The west side has been developed awhile and tends to be the more touristy side. More than likely they'll spend some time in Lahaina in the west. It's a quaint touristy town w/ the usual restaurants, t-shirt and souvenir shops, etc. Hana is way out and is not all that touristy. 90% of the tourist that go there is there just for the day. Tends to be more Hawaiian. Oh, if they're interested in going to check out a luau - tell them to go to the Old Lahaina Luau....I know, I know luau's sometimes can get a bad wrap, but this one is pretty good and authentic.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i thought hana was pretty sweet. doing the drive at night in a rental car is not recommended. kapalua also gets a thumbs up from me.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I just got back from Maui a month ago and stayed at the Hyatt Ka'anapali, very nice and not too too expensive. I used my AAA card got a discount and scored a free breakfast buffet every morning:thumb:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Brian HCM#1 said:
I just got back from Maui a month ago and stayed at the Hyatt Ka'anapali, very nice and not too too expensive. I used my AAA card got a discount and scored a free breakfast buffet every morning:thumb:
Wifey and I stayed at that Hyatt on our honeymoon (2001). It's a very nice place. It's not too expensive...unless you consider $350/night expensive. :p They had weddings during the week we were there. They looked pretty cool. :) The sunset on Ka'anapali beach aint too bad either.

Attachments

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Five said:
The east side (Wailea area) is the newly developed side and has more of the upper scale hotels. The west side has been developed awhile and tends to be the more touristy side. More than likely they'll spend some time in Lahaina in the west. It's a quaint touristy town w/ the usual restaurants, t-shirt and souvenir shops, etc. Hana is way out and is not all that touristy. 90% of the tourist that go there is there just for the day. Tends to be more Hawaiian. Oh, if they're interested in going to check out a luau - tell them to go to the Old Lahaina Luau....I know, I know luau's sometimes can get a bad wrap, but this one is pretty good and authentic.
Tha man speaks the truth. However, the Old Lahaina is booked through September, at least that's what we were told when we inquired while we were there.

My preference would be to stay in Lahaina area (much more of a quaint area) since we found Wailea to be very "exclusive". The sunrise on Haleakela would be fantastic, and if you felt like doing a little easy riding, try riding down the crater afterwards.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I Are Baboon said:
Wifey and I stayed at that Hyatt on our honeymoon (2001). It's a very nice place. It's not too expensive...unless you consider $350/night expensive. :p They had weddings during the week we were there. They looked pretty cool. :) The sunset on Ka'anapali beach aint too bad either.
We paid under $300 a night I believe with the AAA discount. Here is a pic from the deck of Kimos, I was drinking a mai tai watching the sun set :thumb:

Attachments

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Brian HCM#1 said:
We paid under $300 a night I believe with the AAA discount. Here is a pic from the deck of Kimos, I was drinking a mai tai watching the sun set :thumb:
We got a package through Hyatt Vacations...12 nights, three islands, rental car, island hopper airfare, brunch every day. It's hard to say exactly what we paid, but the package was about $7,000. Worth every damn penny. :)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I am honneymooning in Maui in about 2 months.

We are staying in the penthouse at the Mooloki tower. 20 feet from a beach with a reef. So far we are hitting the Molokini crater and also doing some horseback riding.

Tell him to try to rent a condo from someone and to talk to the owner personally. Any other way is SO expensive.

Actually my Mother is a freelance travel agent and she specializes in Maui, and Kaui. Has lots of hookups, especially in Kaui. I bet she could do something for your friend at a small price. She just gave us like 15 insane options, I'm sure she still has those available. PM me if you thing they would be interested. NOTE: She may not want to do it, she's a busy lady, but its possible.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I Are Baboon said:
We got a package through Hyatt Vacations...12 nights, three islands, rental car, island hopper airfare, brunch every day. It's hard to say exactly what we paid, but the package was about $7,000. Worth every damn penny. :)
We got a screaming deal, we scored airfair round trip for $199 a person (Julie & I and the 2 kids):thumb: and the Hyatt was like only $2800 for the week. rental car $16 a day, food................................I droped about $1500 :dead: :blah:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
golgiaparatus said:
I am honneymooning in Maui in about 2 months.

We are staying in the penthouse at the Mooloki tower. 20 feet from a beach with a reef. So far we are hitting the Molokini crater and also doing some horseback riding.

Tell him to try to rent a condo from someone and to talk to the owner personally. Any other way is SO expensive.

Actually my Mother is a freelance travel agent and she specializes in Maui, and Kaui. Has lots of hookups, especially in Kaui. I bet she could do something for your friend at a small price. She just gave us like 15 insane options, I'm sure she still has those available. PM me if you thing they would be interested. NOTE: She may not want to do it, she's a busy lady, but its possible.
Are you snorkeling or diving Molokini?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Brian HCM#1 said:
We got a screaming deal, we scored airfair round trip for $199 a person (Julie & I and the 2 kids):thumb: and the Hyatt was like only $2800 for the week. rental car $16 a day, food................................I droped about $1500 :dead: :blah:
Man, that is a good deal. We cashed in Skymiles and flew for free (saved us about $2000). No doubt the food is expensive. I remember paying $6 for a pb&j sandwich by the pool. Did you guys have breakfast at that Hyatt? That breakfast spread is unreal!!!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
robdamanii said:
Are you snorkeling or diving Molokini?
Well if it were just up to me we'd be diving. But Megan is new to ocean going so we will be snorkeling. I tried to convince her to get her card but she doesnt want to do it. She's a kittle skeered of being out in the open water like that.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I Are Baboon said:
Man, that is a good deal. We cashed in Skymiles and flew for free (saved us about $2000). No doubt the food is expensive. I remember paying $6 for a pb&j sandwich by the pool. Did you guys have breakfast at that Hyatt? That breakfast spread is unreal!!!
Thats a good deal on airfare but not so much on the hotel. Nearly $3k for a week? Were doing it for under $1500 (just the hotel) and we are in a privately owned corner penthouse (facing the beach) spitting distance from the beach. We also have our own private washer and dryer, a full kitchen, a full size fridge a California King size bed (huge) and 2 balconies (one facing the beach and one facing the pool).

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I Are Baboon said:
Everyday, we got the free coupon for Julie and I, Annaleah was free and we just had to pay for Brent, It ending up being like $16 a day for breakfast, can't complain about that.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Brian HCM#1 said:
Everyday, we got the free coupon for Julie and I, Annaleah was free and we just had to pay for Brent, It ending up being like $16 a day for breakfast, can't complain about that.
Yeah thats awesome... last time I was in Maui we were spending a fortune on food.

prices there are like :eek: :nuts: :dead:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
golgiaparatus said:
Well if it were just up to me we'd be diving. But Megan is new to ocean going so we will be snorkeling. I tried to convince her to get her card but she doesnt want to do it. She's a kittle skeered of being out in the open water like that.
Oh man, if you could dive the back wall of the crater....what a blast. The snorkeling isn't bad, but it does tend to get a little bit crowded.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
golgiaparatus said:
Thats a good deal on airfare but not so much on the hotel. Nearly $3k for a week? Were doing it for under $1500 (just the hotel) and we are in a privately owned corner penthouse (facing the beach) spitting distance from the beach. We also have our own private washer and dryer, a full kitchen, a full size fridge a California King size bed (huge) and 2 balconies (one facing the beach and one facing the pool).
No doubt a lot of what we paid was for "atmosphere" and the convenience of being in a huge hotel (shops, restauraunts, pools, beach, etc). Also, keep in mind our package did include the rental car and inter-island airfare.

The did have a free washer and dryer though. :D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I Are Baboon said:
No doubt a lot of what we paid was for "atmosphere" and the convenience of being in a huge hotel (shops, restauraunts, pools, beach, etc). Also, keep in mind our package did include the rental car and inter-island airfare.

The did have a free washer and dryer though. :D
And don't forget the $30 a person, drink:thumb: :mumble:

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Five said:

We went to that Luau and didn't have tickets. What we did was went during the day and asked if there was a wait list she said yes be here at 4. We got there and waited for like an hour and were told we couldn't get in that night but come back tomorrow and we will have you on the VIP list. We came back and went right to the front of the line with premium seating.

We did the sunrise at Haliakala and the bike down it was a fun but long day. Go to Maui Dive shop and rent one of their Jeeps for the day and drive the road to Hana. Once you get to Hana have lunch and then STAY on the road past Hana and drive around the backside of the island. It is remote make sure you have a full tank of gas. Drop the top on the jeep crank the radio and enjoy. You may go miles without seeing another person. The reason I said to go there is because they will give you a map and directions as well as insurance to drive on these roads. Normal rental car places will not give you theinsurance to drive on these "rustic" roads.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
robdamanii said:
Oh man, if you could dive the back wall of the crater....what a blast. The snorkeling isn't bad, but it does tend to get a little bit crowded.
The back side is way cool - I used to work at the Maui Dive Shop in high school and helped on some of the dives. Depending on the skill level of the divers that day we would take them on the back side and do a drift dive. The best sea life was back there.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Five said:
The back side is way cool - I used to work at the Maui Dive Shop in high school and helped on some of the dives. Depending on the skill level of the divers that day we would take them on the back side and do a drift dive. The best sea life was back there.
Yeah, we drifted around the point to the back wall at a 130 foot max depth. We enjoyed the crystal clear water and the abundance of sharks and other pelagics.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
robdamanii said:
Yeah, we drifted around the point to the back wall at a 130 foot max depth. We enjoyed the crystal clear water and the abundance of sharks and other pelagics.
130 feet? Was that the 2nd dive of the day - how long were you down for? Yes, lots of black tip reef sharks back there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BV's girlfriend says:

I vacationed in Maui (Summer 2003) with my family, and we had the best time. Two of the hotels we stayed at were the Ritz Carlton Kapalua and Kaanapali Shores. Kaanapali Shores is a midrange hotel, but if they did decide to try to save money, it is pretty nice. Another very nice hotel is the Grand Wailea, and I would recommend either this one or the Ritz.

If they need ideas for fun things to do, I can make some suggestions:
1. Bike down Mt. Haleakala. You are driven to the summit of the dormant volcano around 2am, watch the sunrise, eat breakfast, wander around and look at the great views, then do a 26-mile downhill ride (obviously not too much pedaling involved if either hate biking). The ride ends at a beautiful beach, right at sea level, and you can look back up at the 12,000 foot volcano you just rode down. (Note: The temperature difference is amazing. You need a winter jacket (provided for you by the riding company) at the top, and by the time you are done, all you need is a bathing suit. Thus, wear several layers of clothing).
2. A catamaran sailing cruise. There is one that takes you to Honolua Bay where there is great snorkeling (fish, eels, turtles,...). The boat is called the Kapalua Kai. If they don't like swimming, there is a glass bottom where you can see fish. They serve a great little lunch, complete with Mai Tais.
3. A Luau! The Old Lahaina Luau is one of the best on the island. You watch them dig up the pig, and the buffet is incredible. There are men grinding up fresh poi (a starchy root) and it is right on the ocean for the sunset. The show is also amazing, and they have hot guys and girls seating you are serving you drinks! (Note: I am not sure when they are planning their trip, but this luau usually books several months in advance).
4. Ocean Kayaking / Snorkeling with the turtles. Makena Bay is a great place to do this. A guide takes you in a one or two-person kayak a mile or so out into the ocean, where you then hop out and snorkel with sea turtles! Very fun experience; this is one of the top spots on the island for seeing/swimming with turtles.
5. The Road to Hana. This is a great opportunity to see the entire island of Maui. I recommend doing the Road to Hana with a tour group (which is what we did) because the roads are all dirt and have many dangerous turns. I believe all or most rental car companies do not cover travel down these roads. Very scenic views though, through pineapple fields, around Mt. Haleakala, over cliffs overlooking the ocean. The tour also makes many stops: black sand beaches (with lava rock caves), fresh waterfalls, and a vineyard that makes pinapple wine!
6. Iao Valley. This is a beautiful rainforest area with amazing, lush, green mountains and large waterfalls. Very spectacular place and you can do this in just a couple of hours, at your own pace.

My roomate from college just got married, and they did some of these activities on their honeymoon, and stayed at the Ritz Carlton. They also had a fabulous time! (Note: They went horseback riding on the beach and had a great time. A more romantic activity if that is what your friends are looking for).

Most (if not all) of these activities can be booked right online if they choose. Hope this helps. I hope they have a terrific time with whatever they choose...they definitely picked a great island! :D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
bv, good info from your girlfriend. a clarification on point 5: the road TO hana from the north is paved, twisty, but ok with rental car companies. it's the continuation of this road past hana on the east and southeast that is not covered by them.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The Road to Hana was awesome. We rode the entire thing in our rented convertible Mustang. :thumb: There are some very scary sections of that road, but worth it for the views. It was all day event. We had our hotel pack us a picnic basket. :)