Quantcast

Help with mountain bike terminology

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
So while perusing the ever entertaining XC forum on my local message board, I stumbled across this baffling excerpt, containing what appears to be new fangled mountain bike terms:

there is a small section of keyauwee that is almost like the pumping station at crabtree but mostly downhill. It cuts off a small part of the fireroad climb out of keyauwee. Riding the loops ccw, we flowed this trail 5-6 times in a row riding the fireroad back up then trail wolfing/flow pumping back down, it was like a mini dh pumping station"
Let me first say I generally do not stay abreast of the latest bike related vernacular, as I'm still fond of using "schralping" and "pinning it". That said, the above bolded terms really has myself, and my riding associates (i.e. "bros") truly flummoxed.

Initially, we thought a "pumping station" might be an area with several bike pumps chained to trees, but eventually we thought it might also be a discreet code for a trailside brothel. Either would be fine by me, depending on which tube was flat of course. As for "flow pumping", we were thinking something along the lines of slow, methodical fapping while listening to sh!tty Flo Rider music, but again, we could be (way) off with this theory. "Trail wolfing" really has us stumped, but I have decided it likely is describing the act(s) of urinating / defecating along the trail to mark your territory, or simply to let others know you have been in the area. With luck, it does not include rolling in said waste sites. A "mini-dh pumping station" seems relatively straight forward if our original guess is correct (that is, it's either a number of shock pumps chained to trees and/or midget hookers wearing TLD kits).

Needless to say, questions still abound about the true nature of these sweet new terms, like:

* Can you combine them? Wolf pumping? Pump flowing?
* Can you use "facility" instead of "station", as it sounds more pro that way?
* Can you use other animals in place of "wolf"? I presume one would want to stay with large, scary carnivors, but I feel like big cats and bears are being left out.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i think dh pumping station refers to the lift line, where everyone is in a matching kit, styled hair, and is fist pumping to dub step

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
dh mountain biking could truly be the sport of the closeted peter puffing tea bagger.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I'll venture a serious guess in that he means something like a pump track where the object is to maintain speed without pedaling.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Damn, I've never alternated between trail wolfing AND flow pumping on the same trail. Now I've got something to look forward to this weekend.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Pumping station usually refers to a sanitation worker pumping **** out of the ground. Yet, this relates to MTB because right before you hit a huge gap you are unsure about, you **** your pants. Thus... the pumping station.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I am totally stoked on the rad find here. It's totally awesome to see that everyone across this great nation gets such an awesome vibe when they totally nail their favorite trail and feel such a rush of awesome emotions when they get stoked riding some awesomeness with their bros.