Quantcast

Help with new wheels.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Saved up some more money and I kinda want to drop it on some new wheels. So I was thinking of Mavic 721 36 hole front and rear rim laced to Profile 20mm non disk in the front and Profile 10mm Single speed cassette hub w/ 12 tooth for the rear.

My questions are:

A) Are the profile hubs worth the price? Can anyone that runs them tell me if they like them or not and why?

B) What Spokes and nipples should I buy. I want black nipples and black spokes. But I'm not sure on the the lengths or widths and anything like that. Help?

thanks!

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I have the Profiles on my Tonic, and I love them. Very reliable, good engagement, etc etc. I have DT Competition spokes, I believe, but just look for black double butted spokes and you should be set. AL nipples are fine if your good at building and have new tools, but if your loose with your stuff brass will be fine.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I still like the Profile hubs but I have had plenty of problems with them and they are kinda heavy. I had a rear where the axle snapped in half at the cassette body and the hub shell, another 3 where the pawls didn't engage anymore due to the hub shell engagement ring's teeth rounding off and it is almost normal that the rear has a little bit of play. No problems with the fronts that a bearing swap couldn't fix.

I am running a Last Zakk hub right now but don't have enough time on it to know much more than it looks good.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I had a first generation Profile Cassette when it first came out. I had lots of problems with it. Part of it might have been that I used pegs, or maybe they were just messed up. I now have mini's on both of my dj bikes and I have not had any problems. They are expensive but the sheer volume of them out there should speak for itself. Thats not to say you might not get a "bad egg" but I think if you want a solid set of hubs they are the way to go.

As for the nipples, when you buy spokes they usually include them.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I remember replying to this question on MTBR (I am Demo-9).

As I mentioned I built that exact same wheelset. Profile SS 135mm rear and non-disc front laced to 721. I used DT db spokes and used black wheelsmith brass nupples. If you are light and smooth you can go with Al nipples. I tend to run my wheels on the higher end of the torque scale so I wanted brass. In addition I wanted some rotational weight to help stabilize in the air.

For spokes I personally don't like black spokes, but that is preference. One reason is that 90% of shops don't carry black spokes in all lengths. But the butted pokes in a 2-1.8-2 is fine. I run 2.0 nipples.

In any case if you are planning to the the MTB SS 135mm rear, definately get the Ti driver/cassette option. In total the rear hub weighs less than 400g with all hardware.

You can go with a box of 255mm spokes to use. You can usually split the difference up to 2mm either way and still have the correct length. So 255 would do it for both lengths. At the shop I burned through all of the 254 as I built 2 wheelsets with Profiles/721. I ended up using some 255.

I have had a TON of troubles with the Woodman/Nashbar SS hubs. I went through 2 in less than 2 months. But my issue was the single retainer spring. But if you replace the driver with the Ody one, that eliminates the problem I had. Unfortunately that hub weighs over 600g :plthumbsdown:.

Last edited:

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Well I was pretty set on the profiles. They seemed like really good hubs from what I have heard in this thread I'm not quite sure anymore.

But basicly what I was looking for in a new rear hub was:
-Single speed
-4 pawl or really good engagement
-light
-not weak
-11 or 12 tooth
-not super loud
-10mm bolt on
-red
-36 spoke hole
-BMX type cog

The profile SS hub seemed great as far as what I was looking for. And I think I might just go with it. But are there any other hubs out there that kinda match what I am looking for?

As far the the spokes go I assume I might be able to just get some through a bike shop.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
What in this thread has made you think Profiles are not any good? On person who had an older version didn't like them. Profiles have the following:

- Single speed
- 4 pawl which produces amazingly good engagement
- light
- not weak
- 12 tooth but unless going super mico, not a big deal
- not super loud
- 10mm bolt on
- red
-3 6 spoke hole
- Why do you want a BMX type cog??

If they made 12 x 150mm rear I would have Profiles on all three bikes and not just 2 bikes.

Last edited:

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
i love my profiles. sometimes they develop a slight wobble, like my rear one has, especially if you have the 3 piece race axle. it just means you need to make sure everything is seated proper. i'll probably fix mine tonight. but they're great hubs

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The Last Zakk hub is doing me right for now but it is not red.

My problems were with the old style mtb hubs. One 6 speed and 2 nine speed but if I would have taken care of the pawls right when they started to slip it might have helped.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
What in this thread has made you think Profiles are not any good? On person who had an older version didn't like them. Profiles have the following:

- Single speed
- 4 pawl which produces amazingly good engagement
- light
- not weak
- 12 tooth but unless going super mico, not a big deal
- not super loud
- 10mm bolt on
- red
-3 6 spoke hole
- Why do you want a BMX type cog??

If they made 12 x 150mm rear I would have Profiles on all three bikes and not just 2 bikes.
Ok I see what you mean. Ya profile does seem like the best bet. And I think 721's for shure as well.

But man this is going to cost a lot more then I thought. Hubs + rims + spokes and nipples + bike shop to build it ='s a lot of money. I dont even want to add it up right now but I'm thinking 600'ish for just two wheels.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Ok I see what you mean. Ya profile does seem like the best bet. And I think 721's for shure as well.

But man this is going to cost a lot more then I thought. Hubs + rims + spokes and nipples + bike shop to build it ='s a lot of money. I dont even want to add it up right now but I'm thinking 600'ish for just two wheels.

Yep that sounds about right for cost.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
If I remember right, only the disc side of the rear needs the longer length. The other side and the front all use 254mm.

Good to go on the 2.0 nipples.